ƇӇƛƤƬЄƦ 19

ƛfter the dance ended, Rey took a small step backwards. She felt a little uncomfortable being so close to him. But at the same time, she didn't want it to end, she wished that it could have lasted forever. Ben gazed into her eyes steadily, still holding her hand. After a moment his eyes dropped to the floor and he slowly released her hand.

Rey looked at him, it felt as though her heart was drawn to him. He was so kind, and sweet, and handsome. She was lucky to have such a wonderful husband, and friend. She had never wanted to get married, but after spending time with him she couldn't imagine being alone again.

Ben turned to look across the room, he saw Finn escorting Rose into the ballroom. Finn was dressed in his nicest uniform. Rose was wearing an elegant red gown that she and Rey had picked out from the royal tailor shop. The dress complimented her complexion beautifully. Ben was sure that he knew her. She was so familiar, but if she was the girl he had known she had grown into a young woman and most likely forgotten all about him.

He smiled, she and Finn looked so happy together. He noticed that the nobles were glaring at them, commoners had never been invited to a royal celebration such as this. They didn't like it, but they accepted Rey as she was royalty by marriage to the prince, but Finn and Rose were in no way noble.

He could hear some of nobles whispering "who invited servants to the ball?" and "no doubt those are Rey's friends."

But he ignored them, he only hoped that Finn and Rose wouldn't hear the remarks.

"Finn and Rose are here," he told Rey.

She smiled as she looked back to see her friends. She walked over to meet them, and Ben followed her. They made their way through the crowd to their friends. "Thank you for coming," she told them.

"Thank you for inviting us, your majesties, though I'm not really sure if anyone really wants us here," said Finn, looking around at the royalty and nobles staring at them with unwelcoming glares.

"We want you here," said Rey.

"Besides, I don't think they really want me and Rey here either," Ben added. "They were so cruel to my Rey."

Rey smiled slightly at how protective he was being. But her cheeks were reddened by how he had called her his Rey.

"They were mean to you too," Rey answered. "Though I'm pretty sure that those girls like you."

Ben smiled warmly at her. "Well, they can't have me because I'm already taken," he grabbed her hand.

She smiled shyly, trying to hide the fact that she was blushing from her friends.

Finn gave him an approving nod.

"I'm sorry, that they aren't treating you well," Rose said. "At least we have each other," she looked at Finn.

He nodded. "I hope you don't mind, I invited one of my best friends, Poe."

"I don't mind, Poe is a friend of mine too," said Rey.

Ben tried not to be nervous about Poe coming. But he didn't think he would accept him, he'd been one of the guards who'd brought him in and doubted that he would very happy to see him or quick to forgive him. But he couldn't blame anyone for not wanting to forgive him.

He pushed that thought aside as he noticed the locket Rose was wearing, the one he had given her when she was little. He wondered if she even remembered it, he wanted to ask her but knew that the memory probably wasn't a good one.

"That's a beautiful locket, Rose," he said trying to act casual. "Where did you get it from?"

She gave him a puzzled look. "A friend gave it to me."