ƇӇƛƤƬЄƦ 24

Ɓen and Rey joined the king and queen in the council room, in a few moments the council members began to file into their seats.

Queen Leia stood and addressed the council members. "I called this meeting because there is an urgent matter that we must attend to. Last night, at the celebration two of Snoke's spies snuck into the castle and attacked Prince Ben and Rey, and gave them a note." She gestured for her son to speak.

Ben stood, taking out the note that Hux and Phasma had given him. He looked at Rey, feeling nervous and afraid, but she nodded encouragingly. He took a deep breath and unfolded the piece of parchment. Then he began reading aloud:

"Kylo Master of the knights of Ren, this is an urgent message from your Master: Snoke.

You must come to Mustafar immediately to prepare for war, it is coming soon... the desolation of Alderaan, and I shall rise from it's ashes like a Phoenix and rule all that remains of the kingdom.

My army is gathering here in my palace, we will rally here for a while to make plans and prepare before we attack. We will be ready soon and I expect you to join us.

Do not tell your parents what I am planning..."

Ben trailed off and Rey looked up at him from her seat, concerned. He seemed upset and worried, she knew him well enough to know what he was feeling. She reached over and took his hand, trying to offer him some comfort and encouragement.

Ben took a deep breath, squeezing her hand slightly, then he continued.

"...you know the penalty if you disobey or displease me.

I expect you to come alone, and don't tell anyone where you went.

Signed, Snoke"

He looked down at Rey and she gave him a concerned look. She wanted to ask him what the penalty would be, her heart fell as she realized that Snoke had been using something to control him, that all of the things she'd hated him for before she forgave him, weren't really his choice. Was he being abused? she wondered, heartbroken. What is he risking by sharing this information?

As soon as he had finished, the council members broke out in a loud discussion.

"I don't believe this monster," he could hear Hoth's councilor say.

"This is a rouse, a trick, a lie!" King Edgar agreed.

"Why should we believe you?" the councilor asked Ben.

"Because I have proof," Ben said throwing the note on the table for all of them to see. "Is that not his signature?"

They all leaned over the table to examine the signature.

"That may be, but what proof do you have that you are not conspiring with the enemy?" a senator asked.

"I agree, if you are truly on our side then where are these spies you speak of?" King Edgar pressed.

"They escaped," he replied honestly.

"Escaped? Why didn't you kill or capture them?" the anger was obvious in the king's voice.

"I couldn't, they..."

"Couldn't or chose not to?" the councilor pressed.

Rey stood suddenly. "It wasn't Ben's fault that they escaped. It was mine, one of the spies held a knife to my throat, Ben had no choice but to let them go."

"So you risk the safety of Alderaan and her allies for the life of a servant girl?" The councilor's tone disturbed Ben just as much as his words.

Ben placed his hand on the table and leaned forward. "She is my wife, councilor, " he answered sternly. "Would you let your wife die for the safety of Hoth or any of the other kingdoms represented here?" Ben asked, his tone sharp but calm.