ƇӇƛƤƬЄƦ 27

Ƭhat evening Rey was out on the balcony, looking up at the stars that filled the night sky.

Ben stood in the sitting room watching her, admiring her. The way her long brown hair danced in the breeze, the way her hazel eyes seemed to sparkle in the starlight. Her soft lips, the small freckles on her cheeks. She was truly the most beautiful girl in the whole land and his love for her only made her more beautiful.

He didn't care that she had nothing, to him she was more valuable than all of the gold and riches in the world. He loved her so much, but he didn't know how to express his feelings to her. He had never been in love, until the moment he first laid eyes on her. Then he had been flooded with so many unfamiliar feelings for her, so many strange emotions that he had never felt before. He had tried to tell her how he felt, but his words never seemed enough to express how he truly felt about her. Deep down, he knew that she didn't return those feelings and he feared that she never would.

So many times he had longed to caress her cheek or to press his lips to hers. But he couldn't... not if she didn't want him to, not if she didn't love him. He loved her and the only way he could be happy was to know that she was happy. He needed her love, but he was willing to love her even if he knew that she would never love him in return.

He wanted to show her how much he cared about her, he wasn't sure what to say, but he had to do something. He couldn't just pretend that he didn't love her. After he had almost lost her the night before, he realized how much he really did love her, to the point that if it came down to it, he would gladly give up his life to save her.

He took a deep breath and stepped out onto the balcony, he walked over to stand next to her. She turned to look at him, she looked into his eyes and smiled warmly at him. He felt a strange fluttering feeling in his heart, she had never looked at him that way before.

She looked up at the stars again. "It's a beautiful night."

He nodded, not looking away from her, he couldn't stop admiring her. He moved his hand towards her. He wanted to gently touch her face, to run his fingers through her long hair, but he stopped himself. He timidly reached over to touch her hand where it rested on the banister. He gently brushed his fingertips over the top of her hand.

She looked down watching as he slowly moved his fingertips across the surface of her hand. She sighed softly at the wonderful feeling of his gentle touch. She had come to long for the feeling of his touch, and the soft kisses he would place on her hands.

"I wish I could be someone who deserved your love, Rey," he whispered. "But I know that I'm not."

"Ben..." she tried to cut in, but he continued.

"I just want you to be happy, even if that means that I have to let you go."

"I am happy," she answered, in a soft voice.

"You are?"

She nodded, then looked up at the starry sky. "Ben, when you look at the night sky what do you see? Do you see a black sheet of darkness, or the stars that dot it with light?"

"I see the stars... they are beautiful tonight," he whispered, looking away from her for the first time to gaze up at the heavens.

She spoke and his gaze quickly returned to her. "So do I, but without night we would never see the stars. Without darkness we would never truly know the beauty of light."

"You're right," he agreed.

"Life is the same, without pain we wouldn't know the value of joy, without war we wouldn't see the beauty of peace. It hasn't been easy for me. But at least I have a home, a warm dry place to sleep, good food everyday." She turned to look at him. "And that's why I'm happy, Ben. I don't see the pain, the darkness that covers my life. I see the light, the good parts of my life. They may be small and few, but they're still beautiful. And they shine brighter because of the darkness, the pain." She smiled at him. "Now, I have everything that I wished for while I lived on the streets, a home, a safe place to sleep, warm food... well, almost everything."