ƇӇƛƤƬЄƦ 8

Ɓen woke up early the next morning. He wanted to do something special for Rey, he wanted to make for anything he had done to hurt her. Though she hadn't said so he could tell that she was upset at him. He wanted to make amends. He had a wedding gift for her, but he wanted to make sure that they were on good terms first. He decided that bringing her breakfast in bed would be a good way to start.

He sat up and looked over at her to make sure that she was still sleeping. She was curled up, breathing in the slow rhythm of deep sleep. Ben stood up and walked across the floor as quietly as possible, trying not to awaken her.

He went to the kitchen and found the chef. "I want to give my wife breakfast in bed this morning."

The chef smiled. "What does she want, your majesty?"

Ben frowned slightly. "I don't know, I didn't ask because I wanted to surprise her. I don't know what she likes, I don't really know her that well. Maybe a little of everything just to be safe."

The chef smiled sympathetically. "Luckily, I know her quite well...what she likes to eat at least. I cook her breakfast every morning. She likes almost everything, growing up on the streets food was scarce. She said that even my worst dish tasted better than the scraps she used to eat."

Ben listened intently, wanting to know more about her. He didn't know that she had grown up on the streets, but knowing that only made him admire her more. Perhaps because she could understand him more than anyone else at the castle. Even though he was the prince he had spent most of his life without the privileges of being royalty.

Poor girl, he thought. I wonder what misfortune forced her to dwell in the streets. He wanted to know more, but he hardly thought that it was the kind of thing he should be asking her about. She had seemed so embarrassed when he found out that she was from the Wastelands. He would never judge her because of where she was from, but he did feel guilty that he had been involved in the destruction of the villages and towns that were now known as the wastelands. Perhaps that was why she was angry with him. He hoped that it wasn't his fault that she had been forced to dwell on the streets.

"But pancakes are her favorite breakfast food, she said that she used to eat them a lot when she was a little girl," the chef went on, bringing him back to reality.

"Then can you please make some pancakes for her?" Ben asked. "And can you give me a little of all of the toppings that she likes?"

The chef nodded. "Right away, your majesty."

"Thank you," Ben replied, then he found a place to sit at the servants' table while he waited.

"Why don't you go back to sleep, we can bring breakfast to both of you."

Ben thought for a moment, he wanted to bring breakfast to her himself as a kind gesture, to show that he was genuinely sorry if he had said or done anything to hurt her. He could tell that she didn't want to marry him, but he wasn't sure if that was because of his reputation or because perhaps she was in love with someone else. If she was, then he wanted her to know that he was sorry that she couldn't be with the man she loved because of him. That made thought made him feel heartbroken. He didn't want her to live in sorrow for the rest of her life because she had been taken from the one she loved and forced to marry him.

"I would like to bring it to her myself if that's alright," he spoke, at last, remembering that the chef was waiting for him to speak.

"As you wish your majesty," the chef replied.

Ben sat there lost in thought for several moments. His mind was going over every possible scenario of why Rey seemed so disappointed that they were married. His mother had said that she enjoyed listening to stories about him. His parents had promised not to force her to go through with the wedding if she didn't want to. It just didn't make sense if what his parents had said was true, then why didn't she even want to speak to him?