ƇӇƛƤƬЄƦ 20

Єveryone fell silent as King Han addressed the crowd. "Attention everyone," he spoke loudly and his voice reached every corner of the ballroom. "My son, Prince Ben has something that he wants to say to all of you."

Han turned to look at Ben, who stepped forward. "Finn is my wife's best friend, he and Rose have become two of my closest friends. We haven't known each other very long, but one thing that I know about Finn with the deepest certainty is how much he loves Rose."

He looked across the crowd to see that both Finn and Rose were blushing fiercely.

"And now, I believe that Finn has something that he wants to say."

Everyone gasped as Finn stepped forward. It was enough that the prince had invited commoners to a royal celebration, and now he was letting one them speak to the gathered crowd, the wealthy guests were shocked beyond words.

Finn felt his nerves begin to take over at the sight of the large crowd, made up mostly of people who didn't want him there. But then he saw Rose, and everything else melted away.

"Rose, I love you with all of my heart," he began. "And there's nothing in this world that would make me happier than if you would agree to marry me." He knelt down on one knee and held the ring out to her.

Rose gasped in surprise and smiled. She stepped towards him slowly. "Yes," she whispered as she stood in front of him, barely able to speak. She couldn't see the ring through her tears, and she couldn't pull her eyes from his.

Finn smiled up at her as he placed the ring on her finger.

Everyone was silent, but Rey was filled with joy for her friends and she began to clap. Everyone stared at her but she didn't care, Ben quickly joined her followed by his parents, and soon everyone was clapping. Finn stood and kissed his future bride lovingly, causing Rey, Ben and Poe to cheer loudly.

Rose blushed as they parted and she realized that everyone had been watching them. She looked at the ring, it was beautiful, a gold band in the shape of a ring of rose branches, with a red rose blossom on top of the ring. "It's beautiful," she said. "But how were you able to afford it?"

"I've been saving for a while," he replied. "And Ben helped me pay for the rest."

Rose smiled and hugged him. Then she went over to Ben and hugged him. "Thank you, Ben."

He looked down at her surprised. "I didn't do anything... Finn chose the ring."

"But I couldn't have afforded it without you, and we wouldn't have been invited to this ball if not for you and Rey," Finn pointed out.

"I was happy to do it, you're my friends," said Ben.

They nodded. "You're our friend too," said Finn.

Rose went over to Rey.

Rey hugged her best friend, happily. "Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! Both of you," she said excitedly.

"Thank you," Rose replied.

"Can I see your ring?" Rey asked.

Rose nodded and held it out for Rey to see. "It's beautiful!" she said. "And he got a special ring with a rose on it, just for you."

Rose smiled and nodded. "He always picks roses for me."

"That's so romantic. He's so sweet," said Rey.

Rose smiled. "Yes he is," she agreed, smiling as she thought of Finn. Then she thought about Ben and how much he seemed to love Rey, even though she didn't appear to notice. "So is Ben," she added, smiling.

Rey looked at her.

"He helped Finn arrange the proposal and pay for my ring."

"Really?" Rey asked amazed. She was a little surprised that he had done something so kindhearted for her friends.

Rose nodded. "He has a good heart, Rey."

She nodded, "I know," she whispered, her fingers absentmindedly traced the crystal he'd given her. She realized that he really was a good person now that she knew him.

She smiled as she noticed Finn staring at Rose. "I love the way he looks at you, like you're everything to him," she sighed. "You're so lucky."

Rose smiled widely. "So are you," she answered, nodding to her left.

Rey followed her gaze to see Ben staring at her, his gaze unyielding and his lips parted slightly. Rey blushed, he was looking at her exactly the way Finn was looking at Rose. Rey had never thought that anyone would look at her that way. It felt like he was staring straight through her, into her heart, that he could see the secrets she kept there. The feelings she had begun to feel for him, that she had hidden even from herself.

She found that it was hard to look away from him. But she looked down, blushing. "Why do you think he's looking at me like that?"

Rose smiled. "Because he cares about you, Rey. He really does love you. You should be with him right now, you and I can talk later."

Rey nodded. Then she walked across the floor to where he was standing. "Why are you looking at me like that?" she whispered, shyly. Even though she already knew the reason, she just wanted him say it. She wanted to be sure that Rose was right.

He blushed. "I'm sorry, it's just... I... um... you're very beautiful," his words stumbled and he looked at the floor, embarrassed.

Rey smiled shyly. "Thank you," she whispered.

He took a deep breath. "And I... I just can't stop thinking about you. I care about you very much."

She didn't know what to say. She didn't want to admit it, but she found herself thinking about him more and more too. She didn't know why, but it didn't seem to matter what her thoughts had began with they always seemed to make their way to him.

She reached down and took his hand. "Will you dance with me again?"

She looked at him hopefully. She was almost embarrassed for asking.

He smiled warmly at her. "Of course."

~Share Your Thoughts~

~ what did you think of Finn's proposal?

~ how do you think Rey felt when she realized that Ben was looking at her the same way Finn was looking at Rose?