Beorn

~~~~~~~<>~<3~<>~~~~~~~

     Valadhiel walked alongside Thorin as they made their way towards some large boulders as quietly as they could. It had been a couple of days by now, and Gandalf and Thorin had finally decided that it was safe for her to travel again.

     Once they reached the boulders, they sent Bilbo out to see how many pack members were following them or still searching for them, if any. Valadhiel sat down, since Thorin quietly insisted that she do so, while she waited for Bilbo to come back.

     Soon, Bilbo did make his way back to the group, and they all looked at him. Valadhiel noticed that Bilbo seemed a little worried.

     "How close is the pack?" Dwalin asked.

     "Too close. A couple of leagues, no more, but that is not the worst of it."

     "Have the wargs picked up our scent?"

     "Not yet, but they will; we have another problem."

     "Did they see you?" Gandalf asked, then, without waiting for an answer, said, "They saw you!"

     "No, that's not it." Bilbo said, beginning to get a little frustrated.

     Gandalf turned to the dwarves with a smile. "What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material."

     Valadhiel looked at Bilbo when the others kept speaking and ignoring the poor halfling. "What's our other problem?"

     "Something else is out there." Bilbo said, raising his voice just slightly so that the dwarves and Gandalf would hear as well.

     Gandalf looked at Bilbo. "What form did it take? Like a bear?"

     Bilbo looked at Gandalf in surprise. "Ye... y-yes. But bigger. Much, much bigger."

     "You knew about this beast?" Bofur asked, looking over at Gandalf.

     Valadhiel looked at Gandalf after Bofur spoke. "Form, Gandalf? What does that mean?" She asked him, stepping closer to him. She frowned when he said nothing, but turned and walked away a few steps. "Gandalf?"

     "I say we double back." Bofur said.

     "And be run down by a pack of orcs?" Thorin questioned.

     "There is a house, it's not far from here, where we might take refuge." Gandalf, who turned around to face them again, said.

     "Whose house?" Thorin asked. "Are they friend or foe?"

     "Neither. He will help us, or he will turn us away."

     Valadhiel narrowed her eyes at Gandalf for a moment before she looked out in the distance. She heard the wargs begin to howl. "They've caught onto our scent. I suggest going to the house Gandalf is talking about. And if I am not mistaken, our host will not turn us away once he has seen me."

     Thorin looked at Valadhiel curiously, though he then motioned to the other dwarves. "We go to the house Gandalf speaks of. Hurry!"

     Gandalf began leading the way, moving about quickly and quietly as he went from rock to rock. They needed to avoid being seen by the orc scouts and the wargs, after all. The dwarves all followed after him, going as quickly and quietly as they could manage. Valadhiel would have taken up the back, but Thorin made sure that she stayed in front. He had Dwalin and Gloin stay in the back to keep an eye out on anything that may sneak up behind them.