The Last Light

~~~~~~~<>~<3~<>~~~~~~~

"Thorin, Bilbo, Fili, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bombur, Balin, Dwalin, Nori, Ori, Dori..." Valadhiel frowned when she spotted Kili. His leg wasn't fully healed yet, so he would slow them down. She didn't want to be rude, but they needed to make haste. Plus, if Smaug was still in that mountain, the last thing they needed was to keep an eye on an injured dwarf.

     "We're missing someone." Bilbo said upon hearing Valadhiel, looking around. "Where's Bofur?"

"If he's not here, we leave him behind." Thorin replied.

     "We have to, if we're to find the door before nightfall." Balin added. "We can risk no more delays."

     Valadhiel nodded in agreement and, as they began walking over to the pier, she scooted a little closer to Thorin so she could whisper to him, her shoulder brushing against his as they walked. "I don't think Kili should come with us. With a wound like that... he would only slow us down and put himself in danger."

     "Agreed." Thorin murmured in reply, sighing in disappointment. Once they reached the boat, he turned to stop Kili from boarding. "Now you. We must travel with speed; you will slow us down."

     Kili blinked, shocked, then he smiled and gave a short laugh before he furrowed his brow. "What are you talking about? I'm coming with you."

"No." Thorin replied in a softer tone.

     "I'm going to be there when that door is opened- when we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin." Kili said, no longer smiling at all.

     "Kili, stay here. Rest." The dwarven king laid a hand on Kili's shoulder. "Join us when you're healed."

     Kili didn't say another word. He simply stood there and watched as Thorin removed his hand and walked closer to the boat. He stepped back to allow the others through, then watched as Oin got off the boat and as Fili walked towards their uncle.

     "I'll stay with the lad." Oin had said. "My duty lies with the wounded."

"Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain." Fili said, his brow furrowed as he frowned. "Tales you told us. You can't take that away from him!"

"Fili." Kili said gently. He seemed to understand why they had to leave him behind. He was disappointed, greatly so, but he understood.

     "I will carry him if I must!"

Valadhiel smiled softly before looking down at her feet. She felt bad for those two, she really did, but it was best that Kili stayed. She had a feeling that Fili wouldn't be coming with them. The brothers were, after all, inseparable. One would sacrifice himself for the other in a heartbeat.

     "One day you will be king, and you will understand." Thorin replied as he got into the boat. "I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf; not even my own kin."

     Fili looked at Thorin, then at the mountain, then he glanced back at Kili. After another brief glance toward the mountain, he got up and got off the boat.

     "Fili, don't be a fool." Thorin told him, getting up and gently grasping his arm. "You belong with the company."

"I belong with my brother." Fili replied before pulling his arm away from Thorin, getting off of the boat.

     Thorin had been about to go after him, but when Valadhiel gently touched his arm, he decided to leave them be. He wouldn't force him to come. Kili was his little brother, after all, and the two had always been pretty inseparable.