Chapter Twenty Nine

You sat in silence as you took to cleaning your bat. A tarp. Old clothes. A washrag. You laid the bat out on the tarp and dipped the washrag in bleach before running it along the handle, polishing the bottom slowly, ensuring that the bleach covered every inch of it. The thing about bleach was that it gave a false positive under a black light, ensuring that any investigation into the bat would not reveal any blood stains on it. The problem with bleach, however, was that it stained clothes. As it stood, you had a few black articles of clothing that would need something else to serve as the false positive.

  Lemon juice maybe? You thought as you moved up towards the business end of the bat, twisting as you rubbed, making sure to push your thumb up to the tip. Quickly, in one swift motion, you moved your hand down to the base again, twisting as you went, the liquid oozing between your fingers. You ran your hand up again, pushing the suds along the shaft back towards the top. A buzzing sound as your scroll sifted through your covers drew your attention. You sighed as you stood, picking your way through the blankets and discarded clothes as you felt for your scroll. It buzzed again, only this time you noticed the black bra that was shaking. You focused your semblance for a moment, instantly evaporating any liquid that was left on your hands before moving Cinder's bra aside.

  "This is (Y/N)," you answered, not bothering to check caller ID.

  "Mr. Arc, how are things?" Ozpin responded. You sighed.

  "Nothing new to report, sir," you said as you held your scroll in place and sat back down, moving on from your bat to your helmet, the other object you could use bleach on. As it stood, under a black light it would look like someone had pelted the right side with a blood filled water balloon.

  "I asked how are things, (Y/N)," Ozpin reiterated. You sighed.

  "Fine, fine, my personal life isn't going to interfere with my work," you replied. Odd of Ozpin to ask after anything other than business, but you suppose it could be chalked up to the lack of new information this last week. Maybe he thought you were becoming... unfocused. "Was there something you needed?" You asked.

  "Well, initiation starts tomorrow and I was wondering if you might be willing to watch over the proceedings," Ozpin said, "Qrow and Joan are watching as well."

  "Qrow is in Vale?" You asked.

  "Temporarily," Ozpin answered.

  "Alright, I can swing by tomorrow," You said, "First thing in the morning."

 "You should stop by today, I'm sure Oobleck and Port would like to see you," Ozpin said. You responded by hanging up. It had been a week since your first date with Cinder and you had no desire to reschedule or delay. In fact, you simply couldn't wait.

***

Cinder's POV

  Cinder simply couldn't wait any more. The only reason she had scheduled that far out was because there were some inner workings she had to see to. People to intimidate, loose ends to tie up, insubordinates to burn. And she had been working nonstop for one week. She simply couldn't wait for some stress relief.

  "Ma'am?" Emerald asked from her doorway.

  "What is it Emerald?" Cinder asked as she put her hair up, pinning it in place with a black hair clip.

  "Are we doing something tonight? Another heist?" Emerald asked.

  "You and Mercury are to keep your noses clear in Vale, if there is anything that needs to be done, leave it to Roman and his men," Cinder responded harshly. Foolish girl. She couldn't run the risk of having her pieces get captured. They were hers, and she intended to keep them. "Will that be all?" Cinder asked. She could see it on her face. She wanted to ask about the getup, the jewelry, and the hairpin. But she wouldn't.