Chapter 45: The bloodied hand

Niphredil was restless. Her head was on Legolas' chest which was falling and raising with his calm breathing. He was sleep and had Niphredil in his arms. Niphredil got up slowly to not wake up Legolas. She went and sat at the chair next to the fireplace. She had missed Elanill a lot, but she was happy that she is safe. It was the end of summer and the hands of autumn had already reached to the north. The storm was raging outside. The wind was howling and was knocking the raindrops to the windows.

"Why are you awake?" Legolas' sleepy voice brought Niphredil out of her thoughts. She turned and saw him sitting on the bed. "Go back to sleep. I'm fine." Said Niphredil, but Legolas stood and came to her. He picked her up in his arms and then sat at the chair and placed her on his lap.

"Legolas! You should sleep." Protested Niphredil. Legolas kissed her lips. "Not till you don't sleep with me." he said. "Tell me what is bothering you."

Niphredil looked at the flames of fire. "I don't know. I'm nervous. I have a feeling like something is happening. It's like a deep breath before the storm starts." Said Niphredil.

Legolas kissed her temple. "Everything will be fine." Whispered Legolas. "Just a few weeks and we will leave here forever."

"That's not a peace of mind." Said Niphredil. "We are leaving our homeland. I love Middle Earth. It's hard to not see Lorien in spring under its golden roof or walk in the Greenwood in summer when the squirrels are jumping between the oaks' green leaves and deers are running on the green grass freely."

"I know. I understand." Said Legolas. Just then someone knocked on the door hardly. Both Legolas and Niphredil jumped. No one had ever come after them after midnight. The door burst open and Tauriel rushed inside. Legolas and Niprhedil stood immediately.

"He is here." Said Tauriel with worry. "Who?" asked Legolas and Niphredil in a union. "Eldarion!" said Tauriel and Niphredil gasped. She had found out the reason behind her restlessness.

***

The guards took Eldarion to the throne room. They had ridden through the forest so they had encountered no one until they had reached the main gate of the halls. It was an hour before dawn. They were soaking wet because of the storm. He had resisted seeing the king and the guards had sent someone after the king and now they were taking him to the throne room.

No kindness was in the eyes of the Elves. They entered the throne hall and Eldarion saw the king sat on his throne. Lady Niphredil was standing beside him with Tauriel and Gimli. Again Eldarion became speechless at the sight of the Lady. There was a concern in her beautiful eyes. Eldarion stood in front of the stairs which led to the throne with his three companions behind him. They bowed. "Hail to the king and queen of the Elves." Said Eldarion.

"Welcome to Greenwood, Eldarion son of Aragorn." Greeted Legolas although his voice was not friendly. "What has brought you here in this dark hour and in such a hurry?"

Eldarion took a deep breath and raised his head and did his best to not look at Niphredil or he would fail to say what he wanted. "My Lord. I'm here to claim what should be mine." He said.

Legolas furrowed. "I don't think you possess anything in my realm." He said.

"Eldarion, I wish you know what you are doing." Said Niphredil with concern.

"I know exactly what I'm doing, my Lady, for I have planned for it for years now." Said Eldarion and then turned to Legolas. "I'm here to repeat the request I've made three years ago and this time I'm so determined to take yes as an answer. I'm here to take Elanill Mallorn with myself with any cost."