Chapter XXII

Beca's POV

"Have a good day, baby!" Chloe gives Emily a kiss and a cuddle when she drops her off at preschool.

"I will, mommy! I love you."

"I love you, too sweetheart."

"Bye, mama!" Emily turns to me and hugs me.

I wrap my arms around her and hold her for several moments before kissing her head and letting her go.

"Bye, superstar. Have a good day."

"I will!" Emily pecks my cheek softly then turns and skips her way over to the other kids.

God, she is so damn sweet.

"Ready for breakfast, mama?" Chloe asks, taking my hand in hers.

"You have no idea. This breakfast bar better be worth it, Beale."

"Oh, it is. Trust me."

Chloe suggested that we go to a breakfast bar this morning instead of having breakfast at home. Apparently, it's amazing and underrated but right now I don't care since I'm starving. I love my food and if someone takes it away from me there will be blood and I won't be responsible for my actions.

We get in the car and Chloe drives away from the preschool and towards this breakfast bar. I haven't had the chance to talk to Chloe about her Instagram post yet but now that we're alone, I think now is as good a time as any.

"Hey, can I talk to you about something?" I ask.

"Of course! What's up?"

"Ah, well... I, ah, I just want to talk to you about your latest Instagram post."

"I know. Super cute, right? It took me a while to find the perfect pic but I got it eventually."

"Yeah, it's pretty cute but... did you forget to tell me something?"

"Ah... No...? What do you mean?"

This is going to be harder than I thought... Great. Come on, Mitchell, you can do this. Just get it out there. The sooner you do that, the sooner it can be sorted.

"You said that you're in love with me," I say.

"Ah... Yeah...?"

"I... It... This is the first time I'm hearing of this."

"What do you mean?" She frowns.

Is she seriously asking me that question?

"I mean that you've actually never said that to me in person before. I just wanted to talk about it."

"What do you mean that I've never said it to you? The other night I said that I loved you and you said, "you, too", remember?"

What is she on about? I have no recollection of any of that going down!

"When was this? What other night?"

"A few nights ago. I was stroking your hair while we were on the couch watching a movie. Don't you remember that?"

Wait... oh... oh, no... Oh, SHIT.

"Okay, ah... wow, this is awkward," I chuckle. "Okay, so, while you were stroking my hair, I fell asleep and I was dreaming about the band U2. I was hanging out with them and Bono said, "I like you" and I said, "you, too"."

Chloe's eyes nearly pop out of her head and her mouth drops open.

"Are you kidding me? Beca!"

"What?"