Chapter XXXIII

Chloe's POV

After having a long talk, Beca and I have agreed to give Tom a chance. I was very surprised that Beca agreed but I was super proud of her. She's come a long way from when we met. If this would have happened when we met, she would have said no and stuck with it. She's spoken to her parents and I'm so proud of her for that. Even though she's a grown woman, I'm super proud of how mature she is being about this whole thing. I know that Emily is her life and that she wouldn't want any harm to come to her and I neither do I. I'd die before anything happened to Em. I'm just glad Beca and I have come to a decision and we're going to do it together. I won't be able to do this without her and I'm so glad she's by my side.

I've agreed to meet up with Tom at a café just outside of town. The last thing I want is for people to see me talking to my ex and jump to conclusions but Beca's with me so that shouldn't happen anyway. We're early and I'm a little nervous but not as nervous as Beca. She keeps biting her fingernails and bouncing her knee.

"Babe, it's okay," I tell her.

"I know but he's not even here yet. Like, where is he?"

"We got here early, babe and there's still ten minutes left until it's two o'clock. Just try to relax."

"How are you more calm about this than me?"

"Oh, trust me, I'm nervous. I'd be more nervous if you weren't here with me."

Beca gives me a small smile then takes my hand and kisses it.

"No matter what happens, you'll always be Emily's mama. You know that, right?" I check.

"Yes," she nods. "Always."

"Good." I lean in and give her a peck and when I look up, I see Tom walking towards us. "Here he is, babe."

Beca raises her head and watches him carefully and I can tell she's probably throwing insults at him already internally but she's civil when he reaches us.

"Hey, Chloe and Beca," he smiles.

"Hi, Tom," I say.

"Hi," Beca smiles tightly.

Tom sits across from us and takes a deep breath. "Thanks for agreeing to see me."

"That's okay," I say. "Listen, Tom, I don't want to beat around the bush here. Why have you decided to come back into Emily's life after all this time?"

Tom sighs and looks away from me as if he's ashamed. "I was an idiot, Chlo."

"That's Chloe to you, pal," Beca reminds him, making Tom look at her.

"Sorry, Chloe," he corrects then looks at me. "I was an idiot to walk out on you. The truth is, I wasn't ready to be a father and it scared the shit out of me so I left."

"I wasn't ready to be a mother, Tom but I did it and Emily is the best thing that's ever happened to me. Emily has gone her whole life without a father and now you're coming back?"

"Better late than never, right?" He chuckles.

"Is this funny to you?" Beca snaps. "Do you seriously think that you can just come back into Chloe and Emily's lives and expect them to take you back just because you're Emily's dad?"

"No, of course not but-"

"No. No buts. You really have some nerve doing what you're doing and you are so lucky that Chloe has a big heart or else this wouldn't be happening right now."

"So you and Chloe really are together?"

"You're damn right we are! And Emily's my daughter as far as I'm concerned. You may be her biological father but that's it."