1 - Their Families

Like the usual mornings, Gara makes sure her whole family takes breakfast together.  She and her husband Andrew  are both busy managing their booming hardware store on top of raising three beautiful children, AJ (25 years old), Grace Ann (21 years old) and Benedict (17 years old).

“Good morning, Mommy.” Benedict vibrantly greeted Gara.

“Good morning, Ben.  How was your sleep?”  Gara asked.

“I had a nice dream.” Benedict replied to his mom.

“Really?  What is it?” Gara asked.

“Napanaginipan  ko na pinayagan nyo na ako ni Daddy na mag work sa hardware store.” Benedict replied.

“That was smooth, son.” Andrew commented.  “But do you know na karamihan sa mga panaginip ay kabaliktaran ang nangyayari sa tutoong buhay?”  He asked his youngest son.

“Good morning Dad. Good morning, Mom.” AJ suddenly came in and cheerfully greeted his parents.

“Good morning, son.” Andrew greeted AJ back.

“So mukhang meron na namang nangungulit about working in the store?” AJ asked his parents.

“If you can work in EGCC why can’t I work in the other business?” Benedict asked.

“Because you are still in school, that was why.” Grace butts in.

“You are still in school, too, Ate.  But Dad and Mom are allowing you to help them in the hardware store during weekends.” Benedict insisted.

“Excuse me, bunso, that is part of my on-the-job training. School requirement yun.” Grace replied.

“Bakit ka ba kasi nagmamadali, bunso?  You are only seventeen, enjoy mo muna ang teenage life mo.” Gara told Benedict.

“Mom, I want to learn more about the business.” Benedict replied.

“I know that, but it is not yet time.” Gara said.

“But if you insist, Bro, I can ask Papa Ninong to give you a job at EGCC.” AJ said.

“Ano naman ang gagawin ko sa EGCC?” Benedict asked.

“IT expert ka di ba?  You can use that skill to help us make our client presentations.” AJ said.

“I don’t like to work in EGCC, Kuya.  Sobrang higpit si Papa Jake.” Benedict objected.

“And you think hindi mahigpit si Daddy sa hardware store? Oh my dear brother, you do not know what you are saying.” Grace said.

“And you have the guts to say that in front of me, Grace Ann?” Andrew asked.

“I am just stating a fact, Dad. Buti pa si Mommy at si Mama Winona hindi masyadong mahigpit.” Grace replied.

“Eh kung ibagsak kaya kita sa OJT mo, so you would experience working with other company.  Tingnan natin kung papayagan ka nilang mag-report ng late sa work mo in your signature jeans, shirt and doll shoes.” Andrew said.

“Nagpaalam naman ako kay Mommy on what will I wear in the store and pumayag naman sya.” Grace said.

“She is right, Love.  Pinayagan ko sya to dress down while in the store, anyway nasa office naman sya and she does not need to meet the clients and the suppliers.” Gara seconded.

“Kakaiba talaga kapag kayong mag-ina ang nag-tag-team eh.” Andrew said in surrender.

“Wait a minute, lumalayo po tayo sa tutoong pinag-uusapan natin.  How about my concern, Dad? When will you allow me to work in the hardware store?” Benedict asked.