LFC - Chapter Sixteen

Sunday, July 9th, 2023

Lesia's POV

"Back in April of 2015, your father and I were placed in the witness protection program for the past eight years until this past May. We witnessed something we shouldn't have. Does the name Blake Robertson ring a bell?"

"He was a high-ranking official for the Federal Bureau of Corruption Control."

"He was in cahoots with some very high-ranking people in the Italian Mafia. They were going to be charged with corrupting several government officials. One day while leaving the office in January, we heard most of their conversation in the parking garage as we were pulling out of our parking spaces."

Julian Sr. added, "Blake said something the Mafia men didn't like, so they pumped about six bullets into his body."

"I screamed a little. They heard it, then split up to see where the scream came from. Your father sped out of the garage, and they followed. I rolled up my tinted window, then waited for about an hour or so, then left."

Julian Sr's POV

"I lost them, but they must have been able to get a picture of my tags because we received threat after threat for the next month. We didn't want them to know we had kids, so we didn't tell you.  We went to the police, who then went to the Feds."

"The Feds finally got the info they needed to put the Italian Mafia leader behind bars and needed us to testify. Of course, we were going to."

"The police and a federal agent had us initially being watched at the house. That lasted until the beginning of April because one day, out of nowhere, the house was shot up with bullets while we were inside. They threw a brick with a note attached saying this was our final warning."

"We had to tell you it was a robbery. The government then placed us in the witness protection program and moved us to Dallas. We had to change our identities. There was no way for us to contact you. The government then sent officials to tell you that we had passed away. Our deaths were faked so the Mafia would not come after us."

"What about the insurance money we received? Do we owe that back to the government?" Andrea asked.

"That's a valid question. No, you don't. We already had that amount saved for you, so once the company gave you the money, the government wired them the amount we had. Year after year, the trial was delayed. Finally, this year the trial happened. We testified from a remote location. The Mafia boss was found guilty and would have been behind bars until he died."

Lesia added, "But we discovered that the Mafia boss never made it to prison. Someone shot him as he was walking into the prison. We don't know who. A few days after that happened, we were released from the program. We moved to Houston and have been living there ever since. We really are sorry and missed so much of your lives. Especially with you, Julian."