LFC - Chapter Thirty-Five

Monday, September 8th, 2025

9:00 am

Austin's POV

While sitting in my office, I couldn't concentrate at all on work. Do I even still have a friendship with either Ryan or Layla? I know she hates me. And, deservedly so.

I heard a knock on my door. I looked up and saw Kim. She had a sad expression on her face and seemed out of breath.

"Braelyn's school is on lockdown, Austin. It seemed like the whole Miami police force was surrounding the building. Several criminals ran into the building. It's a breaking news story now."

"You stay here. I know I won't be able to get in the building, but I'm going."

"I'll turn your computer off and lock the office. Call me, please. I want to know if the kids are okay. Ryan's in there with Natasha for her first day."

I sure did set a track record for running out of the office.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Layla's POV

Jason and Valerie came to visit with the twins. Both boys are sitting on the bed with me, eating my breakfast. Suddenly, the television had a breaking news report.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a serious situation going on at the moment. Lakewood Grammar School is currently on lockdown. Several criminals involved in a police chase stopped their vehicles and entered the school. The police have the school surrounded. Let's all hope for a swift arrest and for everyone in the school to remain safe."

"Layla, everyone will be safe. Don't worry, sweetie."

"How can I not, Valerie? My whole life is in that school. And I can't do anything about it. I'm here in the hospital with a broken leg. If anything happens to them, I will be heartbroken."

Please, oh please, let my family be safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kam's POV

Noeli, the kids, and I were about to watch a movie when Cris barged into the movie room. He waved for me to come to him, so I did.

"The kid's school is on lockdown."

"It's on what?!"

"Several criminals involved in a police chase ran into the school. Marco, Kalani, and I are going to the school. I know you are worried. They will be fine as long as they listen to the bodyguards. I'll call you when we get there."

"Darn right, I am worried. Oh no! Poor Layla. Ryan went with Natasha today. He's locked in the building as well. You better not forget to call me. Please be safe yourself. And, tell my dad and Marco too."