LFC - Chapter Twenty Eight

Monday, June 3rd, 2024

Bliss' POV

"Judge Ramirez reviewed the entire adoption process to ensure it was completed in accordance with state laws. He approved the adoption for Pilar to become a part of your family."

Tears of joy slid down my cheeks. "Thank you so much. You're right because I loved this sweet little girl since the day I saw her sitting in the bushes. She had the biggest smile on her face, and it captured my heart."

"It is obvious that you have. Will you be changing Pilar's last name?"

"Yes, I want her last name changed."

"Very well. Let's head over to the courtroom for the finalization hearing, which will conclude with the judge signing the final adoption decree, officially awarding you legal custody of Pilar."

"Thank you. Shane, can you hold Pilar for me, please? I need to have a moment to myself." Shane had a concerned look as he took Pilar from me.

I excused myself from the room to find a bathroom. Once in one of the stalls, I cried until my eyes hurt. I'm just so overwhelmed with happiness that Pilar is my daughter. And I'm not getting any younger. I may not be able to have any more kids. I may be jumping to conclusions, but I just love children. We said we wanted four, but I want more.

"Are you okay in there?" Someone asked. I grabbed some toilet paper to wipe my eyes. Then, I opened the door to leave the stall.

"Yes, I am okay. The adoption papers were approved for my husband and me to adopt an adorable little girl. We are so happy that she is officially our daughter."

"Aww, congratulations Mrs. Landes."

"Thank you. You know who I am?"

"I sure do. The work you do for the city of Miami is amazing! And, not to mention, you have one of the hottest products there is for a woman on the market. It's fabulous!"

"I appreciate your support so much. I'm a transplant from New York. But I love Miami. The atmosphere is vibrant and friendly."

"Absolutely. Well, have a great day, and congratulations."

"Thank you so much." She was sweet. I wiped the additional tears from my face, then went back to the office.

"Are you okay?" Shane asked me.

"I'm fine. Sorry for worrying you. Ever since we started the adoption process, I feared that we would lose Pilar. I didn't want her to grow up without feeling loved. I love her so much. Watching how she plays with the kids brings a smile to my face. I want to give her everything we give to Shane, Raquel, and Raeni. And, now, we can."

"Mama." Shane gave me Pilar back.

"I sure am, princess. Nobody is ever taking you away from me. Nobody."