Chapter 32 ~ Burnt (Part 2)

Levi's POV:

-flashback-

Climbing up the stairs, I saw clouds of smoke, a constant beeping noise sounding. My eyes widened as I sprinted to my apartment, the source of the smoke. My hallmates were dialing 911.

"Is Erwin in there?" One of them asked. Shit. I forgot I knocked him out, and I forgot completely about the food.

I ran into my apartment like no smoke was suffocating me, praying my roommate wouldn't be dead. My eyes teared up, soon streaking my cheeks. My suffocated lungs made me light headed.

Even though Erwin was a shit, I still had to find him.

He was where I last remember, surrounded by flames. I felt a burning sensation on my back and shoulders as I lifted him bridal style, yelling in frustration.

Right as I got out of my hellish apartment, I leaned over Erwin with little strength that remained. No heartbeat. I collapsed on top of him, feeling defeat.

-x-

I woke up in an empty hospital room, feeling a severe pain shoot throughout me. Whatever I did, it hurt. Breathing, shifting onto sides, anything. I looked at my arm, which was completely fine.

It took a majority of my energy, but I scooted out of my bed, and trudged to the bathroom. I closed the door as fast as I could. I had to slowly take my hospital gown off, leaving me naked. I turned so my back faced towards the mirror, and observed my back's reflection.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would look, but it hurt like hell. My whole back was a reddish pink, oily from medicine they applied. The red was all over my back, and made a weird pattern that went up to my neck, resembling flames.

I turned so I was facing the mirror, and rinsed my face with cold water. I put an excuse of a hospital dress back on, and walked back to my bed, astonished by the previous events.

All I hoped was Erwin wasn't dead

~
Eren's POV:

I woke up on the couch, panicked for a mere second. Taking deep breaths, I observed my surroundings. My living room, but no lights on.

I turned a nearby lamp on and wandered around, stubbing my toe every now and then.

I looked at the calendar in the hallway, seeing that Levi left for college next week.

The thought of him made my heart hurt, following with a feeling I couldn't quite name.

I didn't quite know what to do-should I call a cab? None of my friends have a car, and Levi could be dead for all I know.

I traced the date on the calendar lightly, regretting today. If I just would've stayed in bed for a little bit longer...

I shook the pounding thoughts from my head and went downstairs to my lair. I took a look around my room and saw the portrait of Levi. Calmly, I put my closet and took out a bright and fresh canvas, starting to do this gray themed gradient.

I hopped over to my computer and hopped onto Pandora, going back to my canvas with ideas. A guitar sounded following with tinkly yet beautiful music started off a song. A guitar harmonized with the tinkly sounds, followed by a soothing voice.

"Cross my heart and hope to die
Burn my lungs and curse my eyes
I've lost control and don't want it back
I'm going numb, I've been hijacked
It's a fucking drag

I taste you on my lips and I can't get rid of you
I say damn your kiss and the awful things you do

Yeah you're worse than nicotine! Nicotine! Yeah you're worse than nicotine! Nicotine!"
The song was Nicotine, by Panic! At The Disco. Hmm, I like you, Panic! At The Disco.

~

I heard a constant beeping noise that was soon to be realized it was my home phone. I ran upstairs and listened to the several voice mails.

"Hey Eren, the meeting is running longer than I expected. I won't be home until the thirtieth, so you may need to pay the bills. And you know where the money is if you need any more food. Love you." Nice voicemail, dad. I rolled my eyes and deleted it. ⠀

The next few were from Levi.
"Eren, did you make it home okay? I knew you ran off somewhere but I hope you're okay. Call me back and let me know?" That was around 4pm. Delete.
"Hi Eren. Uh, I wanted to explain to you that Erwin didn't kiss me, I kissed him. I understand if you want to..." his voice sounded on the edge of tears "... call it off. " He paused for a few seconds before the voicemail ended. The voicemail was sent around 1am. Of course I was mad, but I didn't want to break up with him.

A sudden, stupid, yet brilliant idea popped up into mind, and I knew exactly what to do.