Cupid

Glory

Glory rolled the piece of parchment between her fingers, forehead furrowed with frustration as she tried to think of a way out of the situation.

Grandeur sat beside her, head in her hands.

"Of all the times for him to go and get himself captured!" The Queen hissed suddenly.

"Why now? Why the time when you need him most? When you are most vulnerable? When the Kingdoms are most vulnerable? Idiot Nightwing!"

"Grandeur I highly doubt that it was Deathbringers intention to get captured" Glory said.

"True as that may be, it doesn't help us" Grandeur snapped.

"No but blaming him won't help us either" Glory snapped back. "None of this is his fault"

"Isn't it?" Grandeur eyed her granddaughter with fierce hawk like eyes.

Glory closed her own green ones and sighed. "No. No, this-this was both of us."

Grandeur stood up and paced the room. "What will the Kingdom say when they find out that their unmarried princess is carrying the child of someone from a different tribe? Do you realize what a scandal this will seem? Especially if, as I'm sure is your plan, you do not reveal who the father of this child is. You aren't, are you?'

"No" Glory said awkwardly. "I'm not sure I'm ready to do that. Besides, no one can tell, why should I tell them anything?"

"You won't be able to hide it forever child, and when the Kingdom begins to realize, rumors shall fly. Conspiracy theorists shall make their trouble and before you know it-"

Grandeur sighed.

"And even if you did tell them, what would you say? That you are carrying the child of a NightWing, a Nightwing assassin no less who tried to kill you, and is now a prisoner of some shady movement of people whom we know nothing about? I'm sure that will seem completely normal and fine and acceptable."

Glory shook her head. "I don't need this right now Grandeur, I'll worry about that later when the time comes. Meanwhile I'm going to focus on getting Deathbringer back, and I would appreciate your help in that."

Grandeur stopped pacing the room. "And how do you suggest we do that?"

"I don't know!" Glory burst out.

"I can't leave him there, but neither can I do what they demand, not when I'm responsible for more lives than just my own. It's almost too perfectly planned."

"I agree" Grandeur sighed. "If only they had asked for my life instead. But no. They ask for that of the girl who is the future of our two kingdoms, and carries the future hier. If I didn't know better I'd have said they know about your predicament."

Deathbringer

Deathbringer was forcibly shoved on his knees onto hard stone.

He looked up.

This new room was not a lot unlike the dungeon he had just left in matters of shape and decor, but it had far more content.

Only one cage sat in the corner of the room, but there were several racks of what Deathbrinnger could immediately tell were torture instruments.

There was also a large round table filled with food , and close by him, was a tall wooden stake.

Nothing in the room made sense.

It was filled with instruments of pain and death, and yet there was a table spread with a feast fit for a Queen.

There was a large clang as a door on the other side of the room opened and two men came in.