The Brilliant Plan Works Brilliantly (Almost) P2

"This is the right room, isn't it?" Boreal asked.

Deathbringer quickly unfolded his map.

Please, please don't make me have messed this up. He begged internally, while doing his best to maintain a cool, none concerned look on his face.

"It should be." He said. 

"You messed up didn't you?" Boreal glared at him.

"Well if I did it's because of this stupid map, which you found. So no. You messed up."

"That's rich. You're a NightWing. You should have used your "awesome" powers to see into the future."

"If I could do that I wouldn't even be in this castle in the first place. Anyway, I didn't mess up, we're in the right room. See that mat over there? There should be a trap door leading down into the dungeons."

"How do you know that?"

"Aphrodite did some snooping for me and- What?"

The IceWing was eyeing him. "Are you getting all romantic with her?" He asked suspiciously.

"Excuse me?"

"Well it's just that you two seem kind of interested in each other."

"You must be blind as well as stupid." Deathbringer said. "The only reason she's involved with us is so she can get us the keys. Besides, I'm in love with someone else."

"Yeah?"

"Are you in love with her?" Deathbringer asked.

Boreal's eyes widened briefly, then narrowed.

"It's just because you seem kind of interested in my relationship with her. Are you sure you aren't jealous?" Deathbringer did his best to hide his grin.

The IceWings's chest swelled rapidly.

"I would no more fall for a woman like her than I would for a thieving fox like you!"

Deathbringer stared at him. "Why on earth would you fall for me?" He asked.

Boreal seemed to realize what he's said and rapidly checked himself, letting out a breath and shaking his head. "Whatever. She's just not my type."

"What is your type then?" Deathbringer asked.

Boreal looked away. "Not her, that's what."

Deathbringer shrugged. "Fair enough. Shall we go then?"

"We might as well."

The two walked over to a large square of carpet near one corner of the room.

The room itself was not that large. It had a bed, a desk, a book shelf, and a chest. Not much to look at.

They pulled aside the carpet, and stood for a moment, looking at the trapdoor underneath.

"This seems like a trap." Said Boreal in a tight voice. "Do you think it's a trap?"

"I don't know," Deathbringer admitted. "But we're never going to find out if we don't see for ourselves."

He reached down and dug his fingernails into crack separating the door from the floor and hefted it open.

The moment that the first few pricks of light feel into the dark area, there was the sound of hundreds of tiny feet hurrying within.

"Yuck. This place is full of mice- hey, what are you doing all the way over there?" Boreal turned to face Deathbringer who now stood in the corner farthest away from the trap door.