Into the Lions Jaws

Deathbringer

"Here we are," Aphrodite gave him a playfully exaggerated bow as they reached two large wooden doors.

"Would his Lordship like me to accompany him?" she asked, battering her eyelashes.

Deathbringer made sure to give her an "it wont work," look, before opening the doors and walking inside.

Many people looked up as he entered the room. Try as he might he couldn't bring himself to remember any of their faces, which was both a relief, and a disappointment.

They were all men, in their late twenties to early thirties, each was dressed in lavishly embroidered tunics and cloaks.

One of them stood up, and Deathbringer recognized him as a Mudwing.

"And you must be our NightWing Lord! Jolly good, come over here brother and we shall all introduce each other."

Deathbringer took a moment to remind himself of his act, and then walked purposefully to the beckoning man.

"Here, have a seat. Are you hungry? We have more than enough food here," 

Deathbringer sat down as invited but refused the offer of food. His senses told him there was more to the delicious looking (and smelling) spread of food on the tables than what one would immediately assume.

"What's your name?" The MudWing Lord asked.

"Deathbringer."

There was a small splattering of laughter. "A true NightWing then," one of the others said, a SeaWing by the looks of him.

"And my I cast my hopeful vote that you are not planning on living up to that name?" The MudWing laughed.

"Mosquito you idiot, he's an assassin, of course he lives up to that name," Another man said. His ginger hair, light frame and sharp eyes gave him away immediately as a SkyWing.

Mosquito eyed Deathbringer with a new interest. "Is that right? So you must be the one Ginger was going on about. Well, welcome to our organization, I can tell you, you won't regret it."

Deathbringer couldn't help but frown at everyone's, lack of fear, or even wariness. They weren't even the slightest bit alarmed that an assassin was in their midst?

"Well,  my name, as you have no doubt deducted by now, is Mosquito. I shall be the MudWing Lord. I was born a single child, so I suppose my ideals and . . . style are not the typical MudWing ways, but I could care less. Ginger came to me when I was at my lowest, and offered me power, riches, endless food-"

"Women." The SkyWing added with a smirk. 

Mosquito laughed, "Yes, Women, I won't deny it, but the point is . . . he gave me a meaning to life, I have never been more happy, nor more content."

Ruling everyone like a greedy pig is your idea of a meaning to life?!   Deathbringer thought irately.

The SkyWing pushed forwards. "My name is Cerise, the SkyWing Lord. I was an avid supporter of Queen Scarlet. When she fell, her whore of a daughter banished me. Ginger contacted me, and I joined him immediately. Since then, I too have been quite content."

"My name is Prussian," The SeaWing said. "I was a guard. No one special, but I had dreams, and those dreams couldn't be realized as long as I remained a guard, so I willingly left with Ginger."

Deathbringer had several comments to make, questions to ask. Did you willingly trust everything Ginger said right away? Did nothing seem wrong about his plan? Didn't you ask any questions?