𝓟𝓻𝓮𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓪𝓵 𝓤𝓵𝓽𝓻𝓪𝓼𝓸𝓾𝓷𝓭

Thankfully, I've gotten placed for an appointment today which is Saturday. Finally, after how busy that specific clinic has been since it is the most certified and well known in France. I wake up extra early, because they expect me by this morning at 9:15 a.m. Throwing on some thick clothes, even though it is fairly mild temperature outside, I tell Tikki to stay in my room till I get back.

I knock on Félix's bedroom door, knowing he was probably still sleeping. After a minute, to my surprise, he opens it and puts up a finger for me to wait while he speaks on the phone.

"...No, you cannot merely come around and tell ME what to do. You're an intern, so quit acting all big and mighty. The files are supposed to be organized in order from greatest sales to least amount of sales. NOT the other way around!" He shouts harshly, turning his back to me.

I patiently wait and look at the clock. It is already 8:34 a.m. I know for a fact that it will take me at least 30 minutes to get there in time through the public transit.

He carries on in the same tone, "You don't even know how to handle this kind of work, what are you gonna do to get a promotion then? It doesn't seem possible to me even." A pause. "Yeah, so do as I tell you. Don't make me catch you with another mishap, understood?" He finally hangs up and turns back to me.

"What are you doing up so early?" He asks.

I hesitate, "...Uh, I was trying to tell you that I'm going for my ultrasound right now."

"Where is it?"

"Huh?" I ask, perplexed.

"Where is the clinic? The one you're heading to."

"Ohh..." I pull out my phone and show him the address, "It's near this intersection."

He runs his fingers through his hair to straighten it out more, then he says to me, "That's sort of far. How are you planning to get there?"

"I'll take the bus."

"Nah, I can drive you there easily."

I wear my coat and hesitate again, "What? No, it's okay. I'll take the bus like I always do. I-It's not a big deal.."

"Marinette, I insist." His jade-green eyes soften for the first time.

"Are you sure? I don't want to bother you with my stuff every time."

"It's fine. Don't worry about it." He puts on his coat as well, and we exit the apartment building at 8:42 a.m.

My eyes take in his car, which was highly expensive. A black Bugatti with the nicest leather seats. I sit in the passenger seat since he gestures me to. And oh my, when he accelerates the car with the clutch, my back is sticking to the seat because of the pressure. His hands are on the wheel, turning left/right directions, while my hands are gripping the door, feeling a bit nauseous.

"Do you always drive this crazy?" I grit my teeth.

"Yes, because it's a sports car. Are you scared?" He smirks tauntingly, his lips curling back.

"N-No. Slow the fuck down." I swear accidentally and cover my mouth in shame.

His eyes laugh at me in amusement, "Look who's using bad language now. Tu es foutu."
*Means 'You're fucked up' in French*

I inhale, slightly hurt but annoyed too during the entire car ride. Finally, we reach there in time and after he parks, I get off and he follows me.

I go to the front receptionist and show her my appointment number on my phone. She nods, "Just go to Room #5, and the sonographer will come see you shortly... And sir, are you her husband?" She asks Félix, waiting for an answer.

I look at him, and he responds hesitantly, "...No."

He doesn't even look back at me and just makes me look like a pregnant woman without a man's protection.

The receptionist lady speaks in the silence, "Then, sorry, you cannot go with her."

"Okay, I'll wait here." He states and sits down on one of the chairs in the front lobby.

I nod and go down the hallway. I find Room #5 with its door slightly open, so I go inside and sit down on the reclined bed. My anxiety grows higher and higher each time I glance at the tech machines that allow ultrasounds. Oh my God, I still can't believe it. Today is the day I will get to see my baby Adrien with my own eyes.

The sonographer comes in after 10 minutes and asks a few questions about my pregnancy.

"How many weeks are you?" She questions, opening up a file.

I count on my fingers and nod to myself, "...Around 18 weeks."

"Awesome. I'm guessing this is your first pregnancy. Are you excited?"

"Yesss, but I'm nervous as well."

"Nervous? Why, dear?"

"Because... my husband passed away, and I won't have him here to take care of our son.." My voice cracks in the sadness.

"Oh sweetie. That must be really hard, especially at a time like this. But you should not be in any kind of stress since you know it can cause harm to you and your baby. Stay strong, no matter what."

Then, she gestures me to lie down and so I do. The procedure goes pretty smoothly once she puts a gel-like substance on my abdomen and turns off the lights for the system to be able to read the womb internally. Slowly, she presses a small probe (transducer) across my skin as the screen starts to display black and white imagery. I gasp in happiness when I begin to hear the heartbeat of my beloved son. She tells me in delight, "There he is. Growing in there completely healthy and normal." It was such a beautiful thing to experience. Just to be able to see him forming inside of me with mine and Adrien's blood, was putting me into tears again. "And that is the umbilical cord that connects your baby to you." She points at the screen, and it made me realize how precious life really is. The human body itself is so precious with all of its internal complexity.

She hands me a strip of the screen captures, and I thank her, my eyes still full of tears.

I walk out of the room and go down the hall to return back to the front lobby of the clinic. I hug the photos to my chest and breathe deeply, feeling a bit more alive.

The blond male gets up from his seat and looks at me with some kind of worry. "You took so long. Wait, why are you crying?"

I smile and sniffle, "These are tears of joy, Félix."

"...What is that you're holding?" He asks as we sit down in the car.

I show him once we reach the apartment, and he smiles to a slight degree, "That is great. How many months are you?"

"Four and a half months." I smile too.

His eyes stare at my belly, and I start feeling a bit uncomfortable.

"..It's a boy, isn't it?"

How could he even tell, just by looking at me?