𝓛𝓾𝓻𝓴

After two whole weeks of healing the cuts on my feet, they still swell up real badly and I can't even stand for long anymore. Now and then, Tikki gets my stuff for me instead of me physically doing it myself. And then on the other hand, Félix is rarely home these days because of different city conferences. At the same time, it feels like he is trying to avoid me; I don't know why, but who cares. I don't need him, right? Seriously, I have such a bad habit of overthinking, literally everything that happens, makes me think of the impossible.

To keep myself occupied, I decide to make my original recipe of French macarons since I've worked in my parents' bakery my whole life, and have gotten used to adding different flavours in one set. Firstly, I search the cabinets and find the bag of all-purpose flour, but there isn't any almond meal which is very essential for making these. I find the sugar in the top shelf and place it on the counter while some falls out of the bag and onto the floor.

"Ugh, why do I always have to be so clumsy?" I complain to Tikki, who looks at me with the usual face every time I mess up something.

"It's okayyy, Marinette. Everyone makes mistakes. I'll clean it up, so don't you worry." She squeaks and grabs a paper towel for the floor.

I smile and hate myself a bit less. Gathering the other ingredients for my recipe, I notice the fridge doesn't have eggs either. Just great. Now I need two items for making these macarons in time. Quickly, I change my clothes and realize none of my jeans are fitting me anymore. Full of frustration, I throw those aside and put on sweatpants instead, because at this point I seriously don't care. Once I'm done wearing my jacket, I turn to the mirror in the hall and lift my shirt slightly to caress my belly. It was definitely growing because that is the main reason I can barely fit in any of my clothes. I hold back the tears forming at the brim of my eyes as I run my hand across the hard muscle that is forming with my Lil Adrien inside. Tikki hugs my cheek, knowing exactly how I was feeling and how much I missed Adrien everyday.

She assures me once again, "He is with you, no matter where he is."

I nod and zip up my jacket, then exit the apartment with my phone, money, and spare key in my purse. I ride the bus all the way to the nearest grocery market, and ignore the weird chills crawling up my back. I don't know what's causing it. Within 20 minutes, I spot the eggs and almond meal in their specific aisles, then checkout at the register. The cashier hands me a plastic bag with the two items in it, and I make my way back to the bus stop with my feet already hurting, even though I barely walked today. I actually feel so tired having a headache covering my entire skull because of constantly thinking about Adrien at night. Plus, I haven't even eaten breakfast, and it is 3 p.m., so that is also another reason. Ugh, I really need to change my habits and stay away from large amounts of sugar, because it's only going to make me more addicted.

In 10 minutes, the bus drops me off at my stop and I enter the apartment building. As I use the elevator to go up to the tenth floor, I close my eyes and almost pass out right there but stand upright when I hear the elevator door open. What the hell? Why did it just open to the fifth floor when no one is even there, and plus, this isn't my stop? I glance in the hallway, left and right, then inhale and press the button '10'. That was extremely weird. Tikki shrugs as well in my pocket. Finally, it reaches the tenth floor and I walk down the hall with my grocery bag in my hand. Once again, I feel the chills run down my spine and then I hear shuffling noises behind me. I turn around to look and I see a black blur move away from the other end of the hall. Shit, and now one of the lights also fuse out mysteriously. I continue to walk, but then hear the same noise. I turn around again and there is no one there. I gulp and walk as fast as I can and try to find the apartment, but after a minute, I realize I was on the thirteenth floor. How did I accidentally end up on the wrong floor again? I swear I pressed the button that read '10'. I hear the shuffling behind me grow closer, so I quickly sprint to the elevator, out of breath. This wasn't a coincidence. Someone was following me ever since I left the store. I start slightly shaking in paranoia and rest my head on the elevator wall. I dial Félix's cell number and hold it to my ear. He doesn't pick up. I dial again for the fourth time and he finally receives it.

"Listen, I can't talk right now, I'm in a meeting-"

I instantly cut him off in a panic.

"There is someone who is stalking me! I don't even know who it is. All I saw was a shadow figure, and then- and then I ended up on the wrong floor twice-" I stutter, but then he cuts me off.

"Marinette? I really can't talk right now. How many times have I told you to not leave the apartment by yourself?!" He whisper-shouted.

"I had to get a few things. Please, you have to help me. Someone is for real following me and I'm scared." I bite my nails, and reach the tenth floor after five whole minutes, because it was having technical issues.

He says irritatingly, "You know what? Don't tell me your problems if you're not going to listen. Stupid bitch-" and then he hangs up before I could protest.

My eyes fill with tears and I break down as soon as I enter the apartment. Why did his words hurt so much? No one's words hurted me like this before. Making sure I locked the main door, I prepare the batter for my macarons. The tears fall everywhere, even into the bowl as I mix it and place small portions on the baking tray. My vision keeps blurring, so I wipe my eyes with my arm, and place the tray into the oven.

My phone vibrates on the counter with a message from him: [I'm sorry for hanging up like that. I don't want to lose my job.]

Yup, that's the only thing he will ever care about. That selfish jerk! I don't reply back and just close my phone. Then minutes later, he arrives with a fruit basket. He hands it to me, so I just put it on the counter and prepare to leave the kitchen.

He grabs my elbow, "I'm so sorry. My temper issues are fucked up whenever I'm at work."

I move out of his reach, and say, "Yeah. I know. You will never change."

He looks down at the floor, "I'm truly sorry. I actually don't deserve to be forgiven. After what I've said to you and the times I've hurt you. I hate myself."

Edit: The person who was stalking her was Nathaniel.