Chapter 6

030220

I set down my phone when the door opened and Jungkook’s head popped in. In my head, I frantically tried to figure out if I’d heard him downstairs or not, and whether he was here to scold me or not. 

“Jungkook-”

“Hi.” He entered the room and quickly shut the door. “Turn on a light.”

I turned on the lamp sitting on my table and watched Jungkook as he came to sit on my bed. He sighed as he did so, before giving me a half smile. 

“Jungkook, I’m sorry, I know it’s all-”

“Don’t say it, Sujin. Don’t say it.”

“Uh, okay…” I stopped. Did he not want me to apologize?

“It’s not your-”

“Okay, okay,” I rolled my eyes. “I see. Don’t say your thing either. Let’s just agree it’s no one’s fault.” I paused. “Except sneaking into a company official’s office claiming I was someone important was my fault, but you know…”

“Sujin!” Jungkook scolded me, giving me a small glare. “I came here to escape the hyung’s quarreling, I don’t want to hear about it anymore.”

“Well you made a lousy decision on whose room to come into for that.”

Jungkook gave me a look that told me he was serious, and I bit my lip, deciding to be quiet for a minute. 

“I was only down there to listen, I didn’t say anything. But they aren’t mad at you, they’re kind of just frustrated with the situation.”

“Oh.”

“So, anyways, it will be fine in the end. I’ve seen them argue many times before. I’m surprised this is the first time you’ve been here to witness it.” He gave a small chuckle, but when he glanced at my worried-ridden eyes, his expression changed. “We-we’re not… scaring you, or anything, are we?”

I stared at Jungkook. I wasn’t exactly sure what to say. I didn’t like them arguing, but I didn’t want to admit that. 

“O-Oh, Sujin, I’m sorry,” he said, scooting closer to me. “They really don’t mean to… get all mad. But I mean, who can blame them?”

“Yeah, I know,” I said, my words coming out softer than I intended.

“Please don’t worry, I don’t want to scare you.”

“It’s okay. I just kind of feel like it’s my responsibility to be down there, not to mention I’m starting to feel really bad about what I did.” My fingers fiddled with the inside lining of my blanket and Jungkook glanced around my room. 

“Hey, let’s forget about that for now. I came in to tell you that I’m on your side, whatever that is. If you need backup, I’m here.”

I gave him a real smile. “That’s comforting to hear.”

Jungkook shrugged. “Enough with the cheese. I also wanted to tell you I think I know what to do to end the summer in a nice way.”

“Ooh, really?”

“Well, I mean, it wasn’t completely my idea, the production team had a few listed and I thought I’d look through it for you.”

“Is that where you went earlier?”

Jungkook nodded. “I felt I owed it to you to find something, since I freaked out about the last one.” His cheeks lightly colored.

“Oh, it’s fine, but thanks. So what’s the idea?”