Chapter 31

090720

After the whole room erupted into applause, the boys looked at me.

"So?" Jungkook asked, nervously biting his nail.

I realized I was holding my breath. I inhaled deeply, and before blinking.

"I'm going to have to watch that a thousand more times before I can even start to comprehend it." I paused. "But what does it all mean? And bro, JIN BROKE. LIKE WHAT? AND HE KISSED THE STATUE!"

"I KISSED THE STATUE!"

"AND JIMIN WAS TIED UP AND TAE JUMPED AND... OH MY GOSH," I sucked in a breath. "Sejin... How much did that Music Video cost you?"

My uncle covered his mouth in laughter. "Too much, but it was worth it."

"Can we play it again?" I asked.

"Of course," Namjoon said. The rest of the boys had their heads buried in their phones, most likely going through the comments on the newly released video, or social media where they were hoping the fans were blowing up the new video and album, and helping it make it to the top as soon as possible.

"Oh, and uncle?" I asked.

"Hm?"

"The staff need a pay raise."

"So?" I hit Jiho's shoulder playfully the next day at school. We were sitting at Suho's table for lunch, and Jiho had decided to ditch his friends to eat with me. It was fine this way, because I was around Suho's bunch instead of Jihos. "What did you think?"

"About what?" he asked, "the album, or your song?"

"It isn't 'my' song, I just helped you know... produce it, and write the lyrics..."

"That's called claiming the song for yourself. If that isn't, I don't know what is."

"Okay," I folded my hands together and put them in my lap, "well I didn't quite intend that-"

"Right, so how much did the boys really do? You said you 'helped'."

I sighed, "Jiho, do you... dislike it or something?"

"No, it's great really," he sighed. "It's just.. you know I write lyrics, and none of the boys in my group have let me do any of the production. I'm not sure what their deal is, but they're only letting the company make the songs. I guess they're too scared of messing up our debut album." He rolled his eyes.

"Well," I said, wringing my hands together over the table, "I think what comes from the heart is what'll really make you win."

"And that's what I think too," he said, clearly frustrated. "That's why I want to take what I feel, and what I know in here," he tapped his chest, "and put it into my music. They won't let me, but my time will come, I'm sure of it. It's gotta."

"I'm sure of it too. Stay optimistic, I think it took Bangtan a while to get into their groove, as well." I shrugged. "I was gonna work on 2!3!, but I decided it was really the song for the fans, and I shouldn't intervene with that. It's the boy's way of having a little conversation with ARMY through song. It's for them. I almost feel bad, because they wrote some of the song towards me, 'hoping for better days' and all that you know?"

"Mm hm."

I looked at him, "I am still getting the feeling you're salty about this."

"Honestly? I am. Why wouldn't I be? I'm sorry, but I've worked twice as hard as you, and I don't get any of my songs on a bestselling album."