Baby Chipmunk Voice

Yep, you read the title right. Basically, I just wanted an excuse to give someone a squeaky voice, like one gets when he inhales helium from a party balloon. Just... just go with it. -FluffyBoiAsriel

(Kris's POV)

Alphys had called us to her lab that fine morning. And in case you were wondering, Asriel, Aria, and Asgore were feeling much better. Now the two goat siblings and I were heading to the lab. I was wondering about what was going on there. All I knew was that my fellow hybrid, Develyn, was there as well, and he had requested something. I was wondering what.

Aria was excited about it. "Maybe Develyn asked for an upgrade for his weapons? Or even a new weapon! I'd love to see something like that!"

Asriel laughed. "Alphys isn't the type of monster to design weapons. If anything, that would most likely be Undyne's role, if she were a scientist." Goatbro turned to face me. "So, what're you thinking?"

I shrugged. "I dunno. I hope it's something cool."

After a bit of walking, we arrived at Alphys's lab. We knocked on the metal door, which was answered by Sans the Skeleton, Alphys's boyfriend.

"sup, kiddos," Sans said. "al and develyn are inside. they're waiting for ya."

"Thanks," Aria said. We headed inside to the lab's foyer, which branched off into a few corridors.

"i'll take ya straight to al and develyn," Sans said.

"How far are they, and the room they're at?" I asked.

"not too far, because i know a shortcut," Sans replied.

"A... shortcut?" I asked. But before I could ask any more questions, Sans took Asriel and my hands, Aria held Azzy's other hand, and we flashed into another room. Alphys and Develyn were there, working on... something. There were some beakers on the table, as well as a distiller, and other things I couldn't name. The lizard monster and the hybrid didn't notice us.

"hey, al, i brought the kids," Sans said, startling Alphys and Develyn, each of them letting out a scream.

"S-Sans!" Alphys cried. "Don't s-startle us like that!"

"Alphys is right," Develyn said frustratedly. "You nearly gave us heart attacks!"

"Sorry," I said. "I had no idea that Sans would teleport us to you. I didn't even know about his 'shortcuts.'"

Develyn sighed. "It's alright. Good to see you again, Kris."

I stepped forward and shook Develyn's hand. "Likewise."

"What are you working on?" Asked Aria.

"W-well..." Alphys stuttered, "y-you see..."

Develyn chuckled. "I asked Alphys here to work on a formula that would enhance my voice—and by that, I mean my Thu'um. She agreed to help me out."

"Wow," Asriel said. "Is that even a thing?"

"I dunno," Aria said. "It would be cool though."

"but i thought we weren't refrigerating the formula," Sans said with a laugh. All of us chuckled at Sans's pun.

Suddenly, a timer dinged. Alphys looked at a flask that had a golden yellow liquid in it. Suddenly, the flask's contents turned cyan.

"Alright, the formula's finished," Alphys said. "Develyn?"

"Oh, heck yeah!" Develyn responded with excitement. He paused for a moment, asking suspiciously, "Will it taste bad?"

"O-oh, I don't think so," Alphys said. "It should probably taste like blue raspberry. I added the flavor in for your convenience."

Develyn shrugged, took the flask, and drank some of the cyan liquid inside. "Hey, you're right!" Develyn said. "It does taste like raspberries!" He finished off the liquid.

A few moments passed. Those few moments turned into a half-minute. Nothing seemed to change about Develyn.

"Develyn?" Alphys asked. "How do you feel?"

The response Develyn gave was shocking.

Actually, it was the way he responded that shocked us.

"I feel fine," Develyn said in a high, squeaky voice. "Nothing seemed... to... change..." he realized what had happened. "My—my voice," he stuttered.

Ten seconds of quiet passed.

The quiet was shattered with Develyn screaming in that baby chipmunk voice, "My VOOOOOIIIICE!!"

None of us could figure out how to respond. Sans just stifled a laugh.

"Alphyyys!" Develyn screeched, turning and glaring at the scientist.

"I-I have n-n-no idea what went wrong," Alphys stammered. "I—"

"I'll tell you what's wrong!" Develyn continued screeching. "You! Your experiments always end in failure! You're a failure! You—!"

Sans cut Develyn off by telekinetically dragging the hybrid over to the short, somewhat chubby skeleton.

"i dunno much about experiments," Sans said, his eye sockets closed, "but i do know one thing." Sans opened his sockets, which were completely dark. "Alphys has been through a lot of pain back underground," he said menacingly, "and I do not tolerate your making my girlfriend feel worse than she already feels about her mistakes. If you want to hurt Alphys, you'll have to get through me first." Sans's magical right eye flared to life as he added, "A n d  I ' l l  g u a r a n t e e  a  b a d  t i m e  i f  y o u  w a n t  t o  h u r t  h e r.  U n d e r s t a n d?" At this point, Sans was dangling Develyn in midair by his SOUL.

"Yes, Sans," Develyn squeaked, truly frightened (which was really saying something).

Sans set Develyn down somewhat gently. The hybrid turned towards the lizard monster, abashed. "I'm sorry, Alphys," he squeaked. "You're not a failure. You're actually very brilliant, and I shouldn't have lashed out on you. Experiments are all about trial and error, right?"

Alphys smiled. "They are," she said. "Actually, there's some good news!"

"What's that?" I asked, concerned for my fellow hybrid.

"This test batch doesn't have an antidote, because it needs none! I anticipated a failure, so I diluted it."

Develyn just gasped for a moment before asking, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Probably because you were busy lashing out at Alphys," Asriel said.

"Okay," Aria said, "but how long will the formula's effect last?"

"In total," Alphys said, "only about three minutes, five at maximum."

"Thank goodness," Develyn squeaked. "If it had lasted—" At that moment, his voice cracked.

"Looks like it's wearing off!" Aria said. Alphys nodded in agreement.

"Awesome!" Develyn said, now in his normal (save for a couple cracks) voice. "Alphys, you're a genius."

Alphys blushed. "T-thanks, Develyn."

Sans chuckled. "The formula will have to go under further revision before it can be tested again."

We all agreed on that!

So there you have a little chapter involving a shenanigan. Hope you liked it! Let me know if you want moar chapters like this!

Stay Determined! -FluffyBoiAsriel