Press Conference

Today was a big day. The 16th of June 2017 would hold a special memory as it would be remembered as the day MJ Billings took a stand and addressed the world. It was going to be remembered as the day MJ Billings unveiled herself in front of the entire world. Nobody knew who she was, she was a mystery for the past ten years, but after today; everyone would know who she was.

Everyone was awaiting this moment.

MJ Billings would be going live at 8a.m. South African time and 7a.m. London time. Nevertheless, everyone was waiting for her despite the time differences.

Alastair Cooper and the staff members of Billings Corporations’ main branch in London were at the office, settled down in front of the large flat screen TV, while waiting for MJ to go live.

“What do you think she’s going to say?” Mahalia asked Alastair, while biting on her fingernails and tapping her foot impatiently.

Alastair sighed and swallowed hard. He did not know what his daughter was planning. Ever since she returned from Cape Town, she had resorted to ignoring his phone calls. He had not spoken to her until last night when she emailed him, asking him to publish a notice to the public about a live conference call she would be holding this morning on Billings Corporations' Website. She also instructed that all the staff members be present in the office during the call.

He took in a deep breath and crossed his arms. “Honestly, I have no fucking idea.”

The ten minutes ran out at lightning speed, and then 07:59, slowly turned to 8:00. “Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.” MJ’s voice rang through the screen, and voices hushed. “It is a great day in the southern coast, the sky is blue and birds are singing.” She said with sarcasm laced in her voice, and whispers rose.

“What the hell was I expecting?” Alastair asked and shook his head in disapproval.

MJ Billings was not showing her face; the camera was pointed at her entwined hands placed firmly on a dark brown surface. “I know most of you have been expecting me, so here I am.” She spoke, and silence reigned once again. “A lot of things have happened in the last 24 hours, and my company name has been circulating from one tabloid to another, because of someone who decided to hack into my building and deteriorate one of my employee’s reputation.” Brianna squeezed Samantha’s hand and gave her a reassuring smile. “Before I get into detail about company proceedings after this, I’d like to address on the issue concerning Samantha Grayson’s identity. Samantha has been working with me for more than five years now, and I knew about her secret, because I was the one who made her use more than one ID.”

This time voices rose higher as the people started discussing how it was possible that MJ Billings could do something like this. Alastair was shocked to silence; all he could do was to shake his head in disbelief.

“The truth is, even if she wanted to use ten ID’s, that would have been fine too; I would have still kept her around. My association with Samantha Grayson goes a way back, and I’m not going to explain anything to anyone or try to justify my actions, and I am not going to apologise just because you think what we did is immoral. If this bothers you, then tough luck.”

“Moving on to company matters. As I said before, someone hacked into my building, and hacked into every single gadget in close proximity of the building. Now, I will have you know, that my companies as well as buildings, are well protected. I have the best IT experts who monitor the security of the company 24/7, and this is the same IT experts who have been with me since this company started operating. I have a team allocated in each branch.” MJ said, and Logan and Natalia exchanged a brief look, as well as Javier and his wife. “However, one of them decided to betray me by leaving their computer vulnerable, and his teammates did nothing about it.

Those who know me know that I don’t handle betrayal very well, and I don’t forgive betrayal. So as of now, the company’s main branch has no IT department, and while the iron is still hot, I’m going to go ahead and urge all young people out there who have a passion for computers, to prepare your CV’s and laptops because as of July 2017, I’ll be running a programme to appoint a new IT department. More details will be further communicated.”

“Oh, my God! She fired them! It’s no wonder why none of those guys are here.” Mahalia whispered.

Alastair looked around, the present staff looked uneasy. It was as if they were expecting MJ to advertise their positions too.

“The main branch will be shut down temporarily, and by main branch I’m talking about the main building in London. Work continues as usual, so starting from now, all the staff from the main branch should pack up all their essentials, because there will be busses to take them to the sister branch, where they have at least prepared three floors for them.”

People started to relax, and others even rushed to their offices and cubicles, and started packing. “If they go to that branch, then it means that they are going to be under my watch. So basically, my job here is not done.” He sighed, his eyes set on the screen, where MJ’s entwined hands were still on display.

“Another issue I’d like to address is the retraction of sponsors. I noticed that I lost a few pennies because the whole bunch of you thought that distancing yourself from my company would benefit you. Well, guess what? One company has already shut down because the only reason it was still running, was Billings Corporations. So, let me tell you this: you don’t sponsor me – I sponsor you and without me, your companies might as well cease to exist. I don’t appreciate people who only stick with me when all is gold, but I’m glad that you excused yourself, because now I can spend my money on more important investments. Thank you for your time, beautiful people. That will be all from me.” The screen went off and just like that, the conference call was over.

Just as she informed, busses came to collect the staff members, and those who had their own cars, followed behind. Alastair and Mahalia were the last people remaining as they waited for everyone to leave, and then they established the shutdown by locking the entrance.