New Acquittance

"Boss, shouldn't we call Mrs Mendoza?" Javier's driver asked as he watched his employer bleed out in the backseat of his car.

Javier grunted, this must have been the hundredth time he was asking a stupid question. "No, let her spend some time with her family," he breathed heavily as he pressed his palms into his stomach to stop the gush of blood from his stab wound.

"Sir, are you sure you don't want to go to a hospital?" The driver stuttered.

Javier shut his eyes in frustration. "I already told you that no hospitals, and definitely no police. Just shut up and let me think," he gritted.

He breathed out and closed his eyes as he let the darkness of the night engulf him, feeling serene grace in the silent and soulless night.

It was not the first time he was on the edge of death, but it was the first time he was left with a stupid and clueless driver; whoever was behind this was probably laughing in joy right now after gunning down all his man.

But what did he expect? Something was bound to happen after he sent a group of merciless gang members to kill Antonina and every breathing thing within close proximity of her range, so it was no surprise when a few hours later, a group of masked men killed his entire security team just when he was about to knock off.

He could not call Danielle since he had sent her home to avoid getting her in the cross-fires, and he definitely would never bring himself to call Brianna when he did not even know if she was behind his attack; it was too much of a coincidence after the threat she made.

Guess he was on his own tonight then. "Fabio?" He called to his driver who was standing outside the car and holding the passenger door for him.

"Mr Mendoza?"

Javier bit his teeth to cover his cries as he sat up straight before he stepped one foot out of the car, thankfully, he was sitting directly next to the door. He wondered if he was going to make it all the way to his apartment if sitting up was such a task.

He did not want to go to the hospital or clinic, or involve the police, because they would ask a lot of questions, not to mention how tabloids would have a blast by tomorrow morning. His face was bound to make front page if someone got a sniff of his situation and realized who he actually was.

"Listen up, I need you to be my scout, make sure the building is clear–"

"Y-you want me to kick everyone out of the building?"

"Fuckin bitch!" The poor driver blushed furiously, and Javier clicked his tongue. "I want you to make sure that the coast is clear, and then go to the roof; you'll find the main switch box there, I want this place down and out. Dark. Turn it back on after five minutes, and then go home, do you understand?"

"Yes, Sir!"

"Now, help me to the entrance, and then run as fast as possible," he ordered.

Fabio nodded hastily before helping Javier out of the car. His actions were sloppy, and Javier felt the need to punch him, but he had to keep his hand on his stomach. They walked all the way to the entrance before the driver dashed off to the rooftop.

The moment the lights went out, Javier wobbled into the building and grunted when he realised he could not use the elevator since there was no power. He had no other choice but to take the stairs, and that journey was the longest since he had to be cautious; he had to balance against the walls with his wrists to prevent staining with blood.

The only good thing in this was that the building was only five floors, so it did not take him much to reach his door. He thought entering his apartment was going to be another challenge since he still had to search for his keys, but when he reached for the handle, he realised that someone had taken the pleasure of opening the door for him.