11|Driving

Ava was in the back of Malia's car next to Kira ready to help Malia as she was learning to drive. Lydia was sat next to the werecoyote.

"Okay. Hands on the wheel, at 10:00 and 2:00." Kira said.

"I thought it was 9:00 and 3:00." Ava said thinking about what she'd heard her stepfather say when he was driving her about.

"Ava's right." Lydia said. "The recommended position is now 9:00 and 3:00. At 10:00 and 2:00, a deployed airbag could break your thumbs."

"Mine would heal." Malia said confused.

"save your strength." Lydia told her. "Now try not to destroy your beautiful new car."

"You've got this Malia." Ava said supporting the older girl who turned and gave her a thankful smile.

"9:00 and 3:00." Lydia said as she adjusted Malia's hands on the wheel.

"All right. Just ease into it." Kira said when Malia started the engine and started slowly down the road. "Good, good, okay. There you go."

"Please shut up." Malia said.

"No problem." Kira said and Ava elbowed her. "I'm shutting up."

Ava looked out the window and saw they were getting close to the side of the road, nearly off the road. Ava could sense Kira's nervousness, she reeked of anxiety.

"Other way. Other way, Malia." Kira was saying.

"We are now off the road, this is not the road." Lydia said as they went bumping over the grass.

"Other way. Malia, please go the other way." Kira panicked.

The car suddenly started making beeping noises as they got further off the road.

"What is that?" Malia asked. "What is beeping?"

"The cars telling you not to run into the tree." Lydia said as the tree appeared in front of them. "Turn the wheel."

"Malia!" Ava squealed.

Malia turned the wheel in time and they were back on the road.

"And try to stay on the actual road." Kira said.

"You're not helping." Ava tells the girl next to her.

"Thank you, Ava." Malia said with relief.

Malia still had the wheel turned so they were just going round in circles on the empty road.

"This is called a U-turn." Kira explains.

"You said turn the wheel." Malia looks at Lydia expectantly.

"Maybe you should press a little harder on the gas." Lydia suggested.

Malia slammed her foot down and Ava, Kira and Lydia all squealed in shock.

"Okay, just turn up here." Lydia points up ahead.

"Slowly, slowly." All the girls told Malia as she turned the corner fast without looking.

"Anybody want to tell me where we're going?" Malia asks.

"The school." Lydia said. "We can finish with parking practice in the lot."

"I don't think this is the way to school." Ava said looking out the window confused.

"Yeah." Kira agreed. "We're actually heading downtown."

"What?" Lydia asked looking back ahead at the road confused.

"If we want to go to the school we should do a U-turn. Shouldn't we?" Kira asked.