14|Broken Promises

Ever since they escaped from the dread doctors Ava has been protective of Hayden and being with her at every opportunity she got.

Ava and Hayden were currently kissing between two of the school buses. Ava pulled back and stroked Hayden's hair gently.

"I'll see you second period for history, okay?" Ava asks. "Then lunch."

"I have math after that." Hayden smiled.

"So, I'll find you at the bell." Ava said.

"They only come out after dark though, right?" Hayden asked nervously. "You don't have to check on me every period."

"I want to." Ava said.

"Okay." Hayden agreed.

Ava and Hayden started kissing again but then Hayden quickly pulled back with a gasp, Ava saw the mercury running from her nose, and Hayden wiped it away worriedly.

"Don't tell anyone." Hayden said desperately. "You can't tell anyone."

Ava was in the girls locker room putting some things in her locker when she heard someone come in.

She looked and saw Scott at the door looking concerned. "What are you doing?" He asked.

"Nothing." Ava said bluntly.

"Hey, Ava, just remember it's a full moon tomorrow." Scott said. "And you're probably already starting to feel it."

"I know." Ava said.

"It's a super moon. Which means it's gonna be closer to the earth..."

"Yeah, I... I know what it means." Ava interrupts Scott.

"Okay." Scott said looking hurt. "Well, just remember, I'm here for you."

Ava turned to her locker and slammed it loudly. "You going to chain me to a tree again?"

"All I meant was, it might be a good idea if we stick together. So we can protect each other." Scott explains.

"We can't protect anyone." Ava said sadly and left the room.

Ava was in maths class when she heard the sirens.

She ran outside and found Corey being wheeled away to an ambulance with mercury all over him, it was all down the front of his shirt and around his mouth.

"Mason!" Ava ran over to her best friend who had bits off the silver mercury on his shirt and hands where he was trying to help Corey.

"He just started bleeding everywhere. I don't..." Mason said as Scott and Theo also ran over.

"Don't let them do it." Corey was shouting. "Don't let them kill me!"

Ava wrapped her arms around Mason who was clearly distressed.

"Go be with him." Ava whispers and Mason nods and goes to follow the ambulance to the hospital.

Ava runs back to the school to look for Hayden, she found her running down some steps anxiously. "It's Corey, isn't it?" Hayden asks.

"Yeah. They're taking him to the hospital."

"That means I'm next." Hayden panicked. "They're coming for me."

"They're coming for all of us, which is why we have to get out of here."

Ava and Hayden ran to club Sinema so Hayden could get some money for her prescription pills. They heard the familiar sound of the dread doctors so they hid. They managed to creep past one but as they ran to the exit another one was there and it hit Ava knocking her out of the way.