21|Rescuing Lydia Part One

"There's four steps." Stiles announced. "We get into Eichen, we get into the Closed Unit, we get Lydia, get out."

"And we have to do all this while getting past orderlies, guards, electric doors locks, and a mountain ash barrier." Scott told the group.

"You have a plan for all of that?" Malia asked dubiously.

"I stole this last night off an orderly." Stiles said and held up a card that can get them in. "But it's useless 'cause they reset the codes each night."

"So why did you take it?" Kira asked.

"I'm getting to that." Stiles said.

"The only way to get Lydia out of Eichen is to make that key card work again." Scott explained.

"And how are we gonna do that?" Ava asked.

"We're getting to that, okay, just listen." Stiles said impatiently and spun his laptop around for them all to see. "I pulled all the history off the key card. Two weeks ago, there was a brownout and the security system rebooted. During a reboot, all of the key cards revert back to a default code. So, if we trigger a reboot..."

"The card goes back to the default code." Ava inferred. "It works again."

"How are we going to cause a brownout?" Kira asked anxiously.

"That's your part." Scott tells his girlfriend. "You're going to draw power from the main line. But only enough to cause the brownout."

"Not a blackout." Stiles said pointedly. "If you do that, you send Eichen into lockdown which would be bad. Very, very bad."

"There's an electrical room behind the reception counter." Scott said pointing at the diagram on the table. "The main power line goes into two breakers that run power to all of Eichen."

"Okay, slight problem. I don't know how to do that." Kira said nervously.

"That's okay." Scott assured her. "You have time to practice."

"Let's say all of this goes perfectly. How does a brownout get us into the Closed Unit of Eichen?" Malia asked.

"The system takes five minutes to reboot. In that five minutes all the alarms will be turned off and the key card should work." Stiles's said hopefully.

"Ava, you and I get Stiles to the gate of the Closed Unit." Scott said. "But after that, he has to go on his own. We can't get past the mountain ash barrier. And when we're gone, all anyone's going to think is that there was a reboot of the security system caused by a brownout."

"Uh, any questions?" Stiles asked and the three girls opened their mouths and asked questions rapidly.

"How do we get into Eichen House in the first place?" Ava asked.

"What's our worst case scenario?" Malia asked.

"What if I can't do it?" Kira asked.

"Okay, admittedly, a lot could go wrong." Stiles said casually.

"Everything could go wrong." Ava corrected.

"Guys, if we don't do this, we lose Lydia." Scott said firmly. "She's going to die in there tonight. And she might take a lot of innocent people with her.

"This isn't going to work." Malia texted Ava who was waiting with Scott in the morgue of the hospital.

"Why not." Ava texted back.

"Kira just exploded a light bulb. It hit me in the head." Malia responded instantly.

Ava put her phone away as Melissa came through the door with some body bags. Ava held her hands out to take them from the woman but she just turned and passed them to her son. Scott looked at Ava apologetically.