7

Rex and Ahsoka followed Padme into the throne room of Mandalore, where the negotiations were to be held. Padme sat on the chair closest to the Duchess, on the left side. Rex and Ahsoka took up positions behind her as two other senators filed in behind them, and awaited the arrival of the separatists. They didn't have to wait long, and even though it was still fifteen minutes before the set time for the negotiations, the Duchess stood to address both parties.

"There is not a civilized system that has remained untouched by this war. We meet here today in an effort to end this ongoing conflict. The last two years have been filled with death and bloodshed far worse than any of us could ever have foreseen." There were soft murmurs of assent from both sides of the room.

"At least our fighting is humane and cruelty free on our end." Snarled a pink skinned councilwoman. Rex tried to contain his flinch. "Your clones are little more than meat droids, slaves for the republic to slaughter in the hundreds." Padme inhaled a sharp breath, a rare display of emotion on the senator's face. The councilman on the pink woman's right noticed this.

"You feel strongly about this, senator Amidala?" He asked, curious. Padme nodded.

"Behind me I have a representative of the Jedi order and of the clone army. Both have served in the grand army of the republic for years." Rex and Ahsoka stepped forward.

"And what is your number, clone?" The same councilman asked. Rex clenched his jaw ever so slightly. He didn't know any better, but Krell's voice still haunted his mind. I asked you a question, CT 7567! Ahsoka put a hand on his arm. He forced his lips into a faint smile.

"My name is Rex. Captain Rex of the 501st." He introduced himself. Ahsoka followed suit.

"Padawan commander Ahsoka Tano." She said. The councilman nodded at each.

"What is your opinion in this matter, captain?" He asked. Rex hesitated for a second.

"Most of us clones have mixed feelings about the war. Of course we don't want our brothers to die, but if we were given the choice, I think that most of us would stay right where we are. We are soldiers to the republic at best, and at worst, we are loyal to each other. On a recent assignment that went south, I ended up in the mines of Kavado, a slave processing facility. I was a slave, and I can assure you that that is not what the grand army of the republic is made of." He said slowly, watching Padme's facial expressions to make sure he didn't blunder too bad. Clones were soldiers. Not politicians.

The pink lady scoffed. "At the worst? What does that mean?" Rex gritted his teeth. He was
Liking her less and less.

"Traitors on both sides double the bloodshed." He said softly. The pink lady scoffed again.

"And that means what? Our droid army is incapable of turning."

Rex smiled at her. A secret smile that made her fidget slightly in her seat.

The next thirty minutes consisted of a long and tiresome discussion that lead from nowhere to nowhere.

"Admit it. Admit it as the chancellor's personal representative that the council of independent systems is legitimate." The pink council woman snarled. Padme hesitated.

"I have something to say about the legitimacy of the separatists." A new voice rang out.

"Lux?" Ahsoka whispered to Padme. "I don't remember him being on the invitee list." She murmured. Rex turned to the source of the new voice. It was a handsome young man, no older than eighteen dressed in expensive but not extravagant clothes. He walked down the aisle unabashed and stopped before the congregation of senators and council members.