45

Mortis was a cruel place, but it was nothing compared to the beings that lived there. Ahsoka looked out over the dark expanse. She heard footsteps behind her. It was the little Skywalker and his captain. A dim tug hit her heart. (Not Rex, not her beloved Rex.)

She laughed. "Are you... proud, of me master?" She giggled. It was a sickening sound, high and cold.

"Uh, yeah, I'm proud of you Ahsoka. What's wrong?" Anakin called. She felt another presence... she turned around and drew her lightsabers.

"Wrong? Wrong!? Nothing's wrong." She giggled, dropping down to face the so-called 'chosen one.' (Anakin drew his own blade, the blue light a stark contrast to the darkness around them. (Yes something is wrong! Something is very wrong, help!)Rex was in his armor, blasters drawn.

His hands were completely steady.

"Ahsoka?" He asked tentatively. His helmet was on, and she couldn't see his face. But he was protecting. Love, fear, concern. He was worried.

"Yes love?" She sauntered up to her clone with an extra sway in her hips, extinguishing her blades. She threw her arms around him. Rex was studying her, her gold eyes that almost matched his, the black webs that crisscrossed her skin. She smiled. Rex hesitantly wrapped his arms around her, then held her slightly away from him.

"This isn't you." He said sternly. Ahsoka frowned, then her face split in a grin. (YES! It's not me, please! This isn't me!)

"Oh but it is," She purred, and maneuvered the hilt of her green blade so the opening was subtly pressed against the softer white plates under his ribs. (Nononononono, not Rex, don't let her hurt him please not her fiance anyone else, please anybody else other than him).

She ignited the blade. Rex gave an involuntary pained gasp and clutched at her arms.

"I feel more like myself than I ever have." She retracted the blade and the captain crumpled. (NOOOOO)

"Getting a little ahead of yourself, aren't you Snips?" Anakin gritted out, swinging his blade at her. She caught it with her gold shoto blade and growled with anger.

"Don't call me that. I hate it when you call me that." She yowled. (Please call me Snips master, please get him out of me!)She pinned his blade down and cut his arm off in one smooth motion. Sparks flew from the severed prosthetic arm as it fell to the floor. Anakin let out a roar of a cross between pain and frustration at the loss.

She twisted and leveled the gold blade at his neck. "And now the student will kill the master!" She cackled. She flicked a small switch on the hilt of the blade and it elongated, puncturing his throat. She jerked the blade upwards and cut his skull in two, smiling all the time and ignoring the sobbing cries in the back of her mind.

Another figure put a hand on her shoulder, and she smiled at her new master. Caedus looked down and gave her a cruel smile. "Well done, my young apprentice."

Ahsoka crumpled.

"Ahsoka!" Rex yelled, holding her hands as she struggled and cried. Her eyes shot open and she sat up suddenly, narrowly missing Rex's nose with her forehead. She sat back, and scrubbed the tears from her face. Rex put an arm around her and rubbed her shoulders comfortingly. "Hey. You're ok. It's just a dream." He whispered and she shivered and curled into his side. She paused when she caught sight of what she was wearing.

"Why am I wearing your shirt?" She asked. Rex flushed and stammered.

"I... uh... you fell asleep in the shower." He mumbled, rubbing at the back of his neck. "I didn't look, I promise!" Ahsoka blinked, then kissed him on the cheek.

"Thanks Rex." She said softly. She stood and walked back to the fresher and disappeared for a second before reemerging. She had put on proper underwear and leggings, but his shirt still hung low over her shoulders. She sat down next to him and leaned her head on his upper arm.

"You're not mad?" He asked, fidgeting. Ahsoka laughed.

"Why would I be mad? Rex, it would take a lot more than you putting me in your clothes to make me mad at you." She said. Rex relaxed slightly.

"Oh. Ok." He put an arm around her. Ahsoka smiled up at him.

"I'm stealing the shirt though." She said, pulling the tent-like garment around her. Rex pouted slightly at her, but gave in.

"I'm sorry to wake you up. You were crying and thrashing." He looked down. Ahsoka smiled and reached up, tipping his head to look at her.

"I love you." She pressed a kiss to his lips and cuddled into his side. She picked up his hand and pulled it towards her. Slowly she traced small patterns on the back of his hand, then switched to gently dragging her nails up and down his arm. Rex was slightly confused, but it felt really, really good. A dim part of his brain wondered if this is what lothcats felt like when you scratched behind their ears.

"You don't have to apologize for anything Rexie." Ahsoka whispered, shifting to do the same to his other arm. "Thank you for taking care of me, for watching out for me." She wrapped her arms around his neck. "For making everything alright." She whispered, sounding like a child. Rex hugged her back, not quiet knowing what to say.

"Let me guess, something bad happened in your nightmare?" He whispered, petting the back of her head. Ahsoka sniffed.

"Remember what I told you about Mortis?" She said, eyes glazing over as she remembered that horrible feeling of liquid fire coursing through her veins, and how she had relished the feeling. Rex stiffened and hugged her a little lighter.

"Oh Ahsoka." He murmured, picking her up and setting her in his lap as she started scratching the soft undersides of his arms again. She shivered again and pressed a little closer to him. "It already happened. It's over now." He whispered, rocking slightly as if she was a small child. She nodded into his shoulder.

"I know, but even after Caedus's experiments I will never not break at the sight of your body." Her voice caught, and her hand stilled on his arm. Rex shifted so he was laying back against the wall.

"Well, I don't plan on dying for real any time soon." He smiled and cupped her cheek. He pressed her lips to hers gently. "Not when I have something to live for." He whispered, breaking the kiss. Ahsoka giggled.

"Rex, you're such a sap." She laughed, scrubbing at her eyes. Rex chuckled.

"Only for you, Cyare."