37

Ahsoka froze. "What do you mean..." she hesitated, looking at Rex questioningly. Rex shifted so his arm was wrapped loosely around her waist. She cuddled into him and Rex felt her mind brush his. He let her in easily and pressed the memory at her. She was still again as the memory replayed behind her own eyes. She sniffed a little and flinched, breaking out of the trance and pulling back from his head.

"Ahsoka?"

"He... Obi-Wan..." She trailed off. Rex rubbed her back the best he could, trying to comfort her. She gave a choked sob. "I didn't dare hope... after the illusions..." She hunched over and pressed even tighter against him.

"So did I, Cyare, so did I." He whispered. Ahsoka sniffed once more and let out a shaking breath, forcing the overwhelming tide of jumbled emotions down. She glanced at the chrono on the bedside table.

"It's still pretty early. Do you want to try to sleep again? Or just go get a head start on the rehab?" She asked, running her thumb across his knuckles. He sighed.

"Those both sound like terrible options. Rehab. I want back out into the field." He made a face. Ahsoka rolled her eyes with a slightly sad smile. She stood and offered Rex a hand. He took it and staggered to his feet, wincing as the muscles complained after the previous day's walking. Ahsoka passed him the cane and he glared, but accepted it.

"Fine. Promise me you won't push too hard?" She sighed, letting him set the pace as they walked down the still-quiet corridors of the Resolute. Rex shot her a sidelong look.

"Will it get me battle ready sooner?" He grumbled rhetorically. Ahsoka smacked him on the arm.

"Rex, I'm serious. Don't hurt yourself. The point is to get better, not worse." She chided. Rex gave her a slight smile. 

"Ok. I promise." He turned to the weight room door, not far down the hall from where they were standing. Rex paused at the door. "Where are you going to be?" He asked tentatively. Ahsoka felt a dim spike of irrational panic slip though his natural shields, making it as loud as a shout to her. He was scared something would happen again.  

"I was going to get breakfast. Do you want me to stay with you?" She put a gentle hand on his arm. 

"No! ... Yes? I don't know." He hung his head. Ahsoka moved her hand up from his arm to cup his cheek gently. The dim shadow of pale blond hair was slightly rough under her fingers as she ran a thumb tenderly along the hard angle of his cheekbone. 

"Ok. I understand. I'll grab food and come and check on you in a few minutes. That sound good?" She asked quietly. Rex nodded, covering her small hand with one of his massive ones. She could feel the tremors in his fingers even then. 

She gave him the brightest smile she could manage before continuing on her way to the mess. Even at four thirty, it surprisingly wasn't deserted. She spotted Cavalry in one of the far tables with a bowl of mush. Her hair was down for once, still wet from the showers. She was laboriously dragging a hairbrush through the tangled and matted mess. It was surprising long, and it looked like she had pulled quite a lot out, judging from the wad of hair not attached to her head. Ahsoka hadn't seen her since she had lead them to rescue the chancellor. 

She grabbed her own bowl of tasteless gray wet-rations and plopped down in front of her. Cavalry flinched and looked at her, saluting her with the brush still in her hand. 

"Sir?"

"Nothing, Cav. I just wanted to talk to you. I haven't seen you since... since Naboo. You never visited." The rest of Ahsoka's words hung thick in the air, unspoken. I haven't seen you since I was locked in a cage for days when your plan went south.