50

When Ahsoka's eye's fluttered open the next morning, she gave a small groan. Her neck ached from sleeping odd and her ribs complained from getting tossed around by the explosion yesterday. She rolled over and felt for Rex, but her hands only brushed the cold canvas of the indentation that he had left. Ahsoka sat up suddenly, searching for her fiance.

"Rex?" She called, thinking he might be in the refresher. Nothing. Ahsoka panicked a bit as she got up and crossed to the door. She reached to open it but it slid open before she could open it herself. Rex walked straight into her and ended in both of them on the floor. Rex's cane clattered out of his hand.

"Ow! Ahsoka!" He yelped, rubbing at his arm that he had fallen on. Ahsoka gave a small groan and shifted, rubbing at her head. She winced slightly as she bumped the bruise on her cheek that had blackened her eye darkly. Rex moved to help her up, being as gentle as he could.

"I'm sorry." He apologized. Ahsoka managed a weak nod.

"'S ok, love." She grunted. Rex tilted her head to get a better look at her eye. It seemed so much worse now than it had last night. Guilt tugged at his stomach.

"You eye looks bad." He commented, biting his lip and looking at the floor. Ahsoka reached up carefully and cupped his cheek.

"You were panicking. I'm sorry I couldn't help you out of it sooner." Ahsoka gave a lopsided smile. Rex bowed his head and pressed his forehead to hers.

They stayed like that for a moment before Ahsoka pulled away and pressed a kiss to his forehead.

"Where were you?" She asked, taking a step back and passing him his cane that he hand pretended to forget about in their collision. Rex's ears flushed red as he fidgeted uncomfortably.

"Nowhere." He said, not meeting her gaze.

"For someone trained against interrogation, you're a terrible liar, Rexie." Ahsoka folded her arms across her chest. Rex shrugged.

"I was just out for a walk. I want back on my feet so I actually stand a chance against your master." He turned his attention back to her eye. "Can I put some bacta on that? I still feel bad about hitting you." He met her eyes. Ahsoka hesitated, then nodded her consent.

Rex led her over to the bed and pulled out a bacta slave from his first aid kit. Ahsoka flinched away as his thumb brushed her cheek.

"Sorry. 'S cold." She mumbles. Rex gave a smile before carefully spreading the slick gel under her eye and brushing against her bruised eyelids. Even after he he had covered the area, his hand lingered against her skin, tracing the white markings on her cheek and the dim scar that bisected her face. Ahsoka smiled softly at him, but she was slightly confused.

"Rex, what's going on? You're hiding something." She pointed out. Rex flushed again.

"Nothing's going on. I just stopped to talk to Lux on my walk. That's all." He said, still not meeting her eyes. He stood up suddenly.

"When did you and Lux start getting along?" Ahsoka stood and followed him. Rex opted to go temporarily deaf, a skill he must've learned from her master. "Rex, what aren't you telling me?" He sat on the floor and started to go through his kit slowly and methodically. "Rex!" Ahsoka put a hand on his shoulder and he looked up at her, playing stupid.

"Yes, Cyare?" He asked, his lips fighting a smile. He pressed a feeling of amusement at her frustration and the type of glee only somebody with a secret could poses. Ahsoka glared ice daggers at him.

"What is going on." She growled, enunciating every syllable carefully. Rex pushed himself up to kiss her on the cheek.

"It's a surprise." He smiled at her before turning back to his kit. Ahsoka sat back on her heels and frowned.