54

The square was hot. Or rather, the early morning sun slanted into the square at such an angle that the wool cloak that Ahsoka wore was uncomfortable. The separatist puppet who called himself king was blathering on about the glory of the CIS and how he had brought peace to Onderon in a war torn galaxy.

Now that's a load of bantha kriff.

Rex's mind brushed her own. She snorted, then turned it into a cough as people around her gave her odd look.

I mean, you're not wrong. But please don't make me laugh, they're bringing out the prisoner.

She sent back, focusing back on the dais as an elderly man in a simple but expensive white robe was marched out of the building. There was muttering from the people around them. Ahsoka listened to them, trying to get a feel for the loyalties of the citizens.

"The king..."

"It's Dendup.... the rebels..."

"Steela is faithful...."

"The true king."

It seems the people have mixed feelings. Let's hope they support him when the time comes.

Ahsoka glanced at Rex as she shared her thoughts. Rex was frowning at the dais. Just as she was about to ask what was wrong, he thought three words that made Ahsoka's stomach plummet.

They have Saw.

Are you sure? Where!?

East side, with the guards. He's in binders.

Ahsoka let out a breath as she looked where Rex directed. Sure enough, there he was. He was staring straight ahead into nothing, his hands clamped together with metal binders.

I'm going closer to get a better look.

She informed her fiance, already moving forward. She felt a wave of exasperation at her from Rex, but there was pride underneath. Ahsoka slipped expertly through the crowd, moving almost to the barriers that separated the king and his droid guards from the commoners.

Saw was bleeding from multiple spots, and he had several bruises on his arms too. He looked like he was having trouble standing. Ahsoka glanced at the rooftop where Steela was. This just made things a whole lot more complicated.

The false King took a bite out of a piece of fruit and tossed it through a red ray shield. It caught there and hovered, turning gently. Two magna guards twirled their electric staves and slammed the butts of them into the sides of the guillotine. The fruit split evenly and fell to the ground, both halves sizzling and steaming.

Ahsoka forced herself to ignore the sudden nausea that rose up, unbidden.

"Before the former king perishes, I have one more surprise. Saw Gerrara, brother of Steela Gerrara, has recently paid a visit to me. He will precede his king into the afterlife, a faithful subject loyal to the end." The false king Rash declared. Saw was shoved forward and to his knees, his head thrust through the guillotine.

The magna guards slammed their staves into the ground, but before they could connect with the sides of the guillotine, two shots of blaster hit the poles, rendering them useless. Ahsoka looked to where the bolts had come from. It was the top of a third building, one that had nobody stationed on it from the rebellion.

Rex was still in the crowd, and felt just as confused as she was. He was too far away to communicate comfortably telepathically, so Ahsoka risked slipping back into the crowd to stand by Rex.

Was that one of ours?

She thought at him. Rex gave her a sideways glance and gave a small shake of his head.