Dead?

We gently land outside of the wooden fence that surrounds the construction site.

{It's quiet, really quiet.}

I take a step forward, through the opening of the fence. I look up at the half finished building sitting in the center surrounded by all kinds of construction equipment.

"Where are all the workers? It's only one in the afternoon, they should still be here." I ask looking around searching for people.

"They cleared out of here when all the bad luck started happening. People kept getting hurt so they all quit."

"Bad luck?"

"Jinx uses her powers to cause "bad luck" or bad things to happen. That's why Robin doesn't want any of us facing her alone, she's too powerful when it's one on one because she can turn the odds against us but turn them to her advantage."

{She sounds strong but if that was her in one of my memories, she was jealous of me because of how strong I was. So how powerful was I then?}

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

I turn towards her, hand still in mine, "Yes, I need to do this."

She takes a deep breath before letting go of my hand, "Remember your promise."

"I know. If things get bad, I run."

"Good." she starts to levitate into the air.

"I won't be far so if you have to signal us I'll be here as fast as I can."

I nod, "Be safe."

"I will."

She keeps going up but slowly, her eyes still on me.

"Jade, please be careful. I love you."

"I will, I love you too."

She nods one more time as she pulls the top of her hood down more to cast the shadow over her whole face. I watch as she flies up and away, I watch until she's just a dot.

{Alright, let's do this.}

I take a deep breath and turn back towards the building.

{We'll take this slow, my body can't handle fast right now.}

I start making my way towards the entrance, passing all the abandoned machines, I reach up and press a button on my glasses. They immediately start scanning everything I look at.

{These have been sitting here for awhile.}

My glasses zoom in on some of the machines showing me the rust that's on them. I turn back towards the building, my glasses start to scan it.

{The outside of it is stable. That's good, I don't have to worry about the whole thing coming down on top of me.}

I walk inside the giant hole that makes up the right lower corner of the building. Barely anything makes up the inside except for the steel beams holding the building together and about a dozen or so windows shining enough sunlight through that I can see everything inside.

{They were almost finished with the outside, but the inside looks like they hadn't even started before they left.}

I look up at the temporary floors made out of wooden planks, sitting on top of the steel beams running from wall to wall, going all the way up. Some larger than others. Each floor has different equipment and work benches on them, along with extra giant planks of wood. A ladder sits on each one, each leading to the next floor.

{The workers must have used those to work and walk on as they were building the walls on the inside.}

I walk a little farther in, taking in all the junk lying around everywhere, my glasses still scanning the environment.