Demon

For a while we climb in silence, Shadow quickly leading us up the stairs. I stare at her back, her shoulders still tense from before, trying to gain the courage to ask her what I want to ask. We pass a giant 12 painted on the wall.

{Running out of time, now or never.}

I take a deep breath.

"I was wondering how long it was going to be until you were going to say something." Shadow speaks up.

"I didn't say anything."

She turns her head a little bit to look back at me, "I knew just saying, I'm okay, wasn't going to be enough for you. Climbing these stairs would give you plenty of time to grill me so I've been waiting for you to ask."

"How did you know that I would say something?"

I see the corner of her smile before she looks forward again, "I told you before, I've been watching you."

Butterflies flutter in my stomach.

"I know you, Jinx."

My face heats up.

{She really does.}

We pass another number painted on the wall, 13.

"So, what do you want to know?"

I shake my head back and forth really fast, breaking from my daze.

"I want to know exactly what happened back there. I have never seen you react like that from using your powers. Why did your aura completely change? Why were you so terrified while we were in the dark? What darkness were you referring to? What else was in there with us?" I quickly ask without taking a breath till the end.

Shadow takes a deep breath, "When I was younger, before my powers awoken, I was full of goodness and warmth. There wasn't an ounce of darkness or evil inside of me. The day that my powers revealed themselves something inside of me changed. Something dark and evil was awoken and it made sure I knew that it was there."

"What do you mean?"

"I didn't tell you everything when we were talking about our pasts. I left something out."

"You lied?" I ask, a little upset.

"No I didn't lie. I just left part of the story out," she turns her head a little to look back at me, "I was afraid you would react just like all the others did when I told them about it. I was afraid that you would think I'm making it up or that I'm crazy, but I'm not. This thing is real."

{People thought she was crazy, but why?}

I calm down, "I would never think either of those things."

"I know that now and that's why I'm going to tell you about the things I left out." She faces forwards again.

"Go ahead."

"I told you about the day my powers were activated. About how upset I was that my friend left causing my emotions to spike, breaking the barrier to my powers."

"Yeah."

"Well that's not the whole story. I did get my powers that day and for the reason I told you, but something else happened as well."

"What?"

"The moment I felt the barrier break I heard something, a harsh whisper."

"Someone was talking to you?"

"Not exactly."

"Huh?"