569

It’s Real, Not an Illusion

Someone said that when in the North, especially Song Zhou, this sort of scene could be seen everyday. Duan Mu An Guo had control over every girl in the province, but not everyone wanted to enter the imperial palace. At 13 years of age, a girl was not yet of marriageable age. According to Da Shun’s laws, a girl that had not yet become of marriageable age could not be married off.

But in the rough and unreasonable northern provinces, these matters were ignored; moreover, Duan Mu An Guo was extremely debauched, especially when it came to younger girls. That was why the girls that were still children were worried at all times that they would be caught and sent into the Winter Palace. As for Duan Mu An Guo’s twelve concubines, they were an existence above those in the Winter Palace. It was equivalent to a promotion.

Now, there was a girl on the run, and nobody on the streets cared or went to stop her. Either way, she would not be able to escape before being caught by her family and brought back. The people of the North had already become accustomed to selling their daughters for benefits. In fact, they were all too eager for their daughters to become favored. After all, as long as they had a daughter remain in the Winter Palace, they would be exempt from paying taxes.

Feng Yu Heng saw the girl get caught rather quickly before being brought by her family to a middle-aged man that looked a little refined that was standing at the side of the road. They said: “Sir, please do not worry. We will definitely take care of educating our young daughter. After a little time, we will definitely send her to the Illusory Hall later. We will ensure that she is obedient.”

The middle-aged man sighed, saying: “Every year, during the 100 family banquet, a few of the girls of our Illusory Hall will be chosen by leader Duan Mu to enter the Winter Palace. That is a life-changing great occurrence. At first, the people of the Illusory Hall definitely would not come out to look for people; moreover, doing so in such a rush. Unluckily, a group of people was sent to Qian Zhou to perform, and Qian Zhou agreed that they would return before the end of the year, but the one that came this year was Prince Lian. He did not mention this matter, and it’s hard for us to ask. Only because of this are we in a rush to come out and look for substitutes. But if your daughter does not want to, just forget about it. This is not something that can be forced. The Illusory Hall definitely will not bring any girl that does not want to enter the Winter Palace.” After he said this, he saluted and turned to leave.

Feng Yu Heng stared at that person’s departing figure for a while, and an idea appeared. Before this thought could be fully formed in her mind, Ban Zou frankly pinched her arm from the side then fiercely said: “Can you allow me a little bit of peace of mind? Don’t bother with that idea.”

Feng Yu Heng spread her hands, “But if I don’t go with that idea, how can I get into the Winter Palace? I don’t trust that just your qinggong will allow me to enter without anyone knowing about it. On the day with that palace, there was a large number of people present, so we can forget about it. As for Winter Palace, since that is Duan Mu An Guo’s little imperial palace, it definitely will not be very open. Moreover, after that incident, he will be very intent on finding us.”

Ban Zou shook his head once more, “No matter what you say, I will not agree.”

“If you don’t agree, just come with me.” Feng Yu Heng winked at Ban Zou, “To avoid any lapses, I have chosen the path of Illusory Hall, so how about you go and find your own path?”

These words caused Ban Zou to consider things carefully. He knew that his master would stand by her word, and it would be too difficult to change her way of thinking. This meant that only by him going in would he be able to help if anything went wrong.