459

This County Princess Can Send You to See the Elder Madam

The laws of Da Shun clearly stated that only officials of standard third rank and higher were permitted to bring in or promote high-ranking concubines. For officials under standard third rank, you could take in as many concubines as desired, nor did it matter if you treated the concubines a little better, but you definitely could not call them high-ranking concubines.

For someone like Han shi, whose mind was only filled with thoughts of romance, she only thought about how she would fight to gain favor within the manor. She would think about how she could improve her and Fen Dai’s position within the manor. How could she spend any amount of time understand the laws of Da Shun. Once Cheng Jun Man’s words were spoken, Han shi immediately became unhappy, “On what basis can we not? Who said that we cannot have one? To control the skies and the land, they even want to control what sort of concubine someone has?”

Once this was said, Feng Jin Yuan’s face immediately blanched. Kneeling on the ground, his legs began to tremble. Cheng Jun Mei did not say a single word before taking a couple steps forward and slapping Han shi twice across the face. This caused Han shi to see stars.

Feng Jin Yuan was, in the end, still worried about the child in her belly. Hearing the sound of her being hit, he turned around and wanted to stop her; however, Cheng Jun Man said: “Husband, those slaps will save her life.”

Feng Jin Yuan closed the mouth that he had opened. That’s right, they will save Han shi’s life. He looked at Han shi with a look of disappointment for having failed to meet expectations, “Officials under standard third rank cannot have high-ranking concubines. This is a law in Da Shun. This was put in place by the Emperor. Han shi, how many heads do you have?”

Han shi was dazed upon hearing these words. This was then followed by waves of horror. How many heads did she have that she actually dared to insult the Emperor? If these words were spread, would she still be able to continue living?

Once these thoughts arose, she subconsciously turned toward Feng Yu Heng. Feng Yu Heng raised an eyebrow and asked her: “Concubine mother, what are you looking at this county princess for? It was you that insulted the Emperor. What is it, with this many pairs of ears that had heard it, you want to frame this county princess?”

Han shi was startled then quickly shook her head: “I did not, I did not.” She then lowered her head, not daring to say another word.

Feng Yu Heng, however, spoke up once more to ask her: “Then do you have anything else to add regarding this matter of high-ranking concubines?”

Han shi gently bit her lip. She felt extremely unreconciled but shook her head: “No.” She then muttered: “How could the elder madam not even know about this?”

“Hmph.” Feng Yu Heng shrugged and quietly snorted, “Whether or not grandmother knew, you would need to ask her yourself. If you really feel that you have suffered an injustice, this county princess can send you to see her.”

“No, no, no!” Han shi desperately shook her head, “I don’t want to go. I…”

“Enough!” Feng Jin Yuan angrily shouted, “This matter is concluded here. Nobody is permitted to bring it up again. Han shi, you are pregnant. There is no need for you to stand vigil. Go back!” He waved his hand, and some servants immediately came forward to bring Han shi out.

Han shi had been scared so thoroughly by Feng Yu Heng and the Cheng shi sisters that she did not dare remain. But as she was being taken out, she still shouted: “Husband, you must call a doctor for fourth young miss!”

How could Feng Jin Yuan be bothered with such a thing. Instead, it was Cheng Jun Man that called for someone to carry Fen Dai off. She then arranged for someone to bring a doctor in.