460

Lower-Class Person, Why Are You Speaking to This County Princess?

Feng Jin Yuan had shouted with a great deal of force, and his voice even became hoarse. The foot that Feng Yu Heng had just raised missed the step leading up to the carriage because she had been startled. She patted her chest and asked: “Are they being chased out by a wolf?”

Huang Quan had a look of disdain and said: “Why is it like Chen shi from back then? Shouting abuse like a shrill housewife?”

This description of shouting abuse like a shrill housewife aroused Feng Yu Heng’s love for gossip. She tugged at Huang Quan’s sleeve, “Go, let’s go take a look.”

Ban Zou was very speechless, as he watched the two girls walk off. He hated this so much that the roots of his teeth itched, but he was still a little curious as to why Feng Jin Yuan had let out such a shout. Thus he quickly got off the carriage and handed the carriage to the imperial guards at the entrance before chasing after Feng Yu Heng.

When Feng Yu Heng arrived at the Feng manor’s entrance, there was a group of people being chased out. It was not just people, as they gifts that they had brought were also being thrown out. She looked down, ha! There were people that sent pastries, tea leaves, eggs, and there was even one that brought lettuce. Looking again at the people that had been thrown out, although they were wearing clean clothes, they could not even remotely be considered exquisite. Although there were some that wore official’s clothes, they were also lowly officials below standard fifth rank. In fact, some were just people that had been sent by those officials to represent them. She immediately noticed some of the governor’s aides. That person had picked up a box of tea leaves that had been thrown out and loudly said: “The elder madam of Official Feng’s family has passed away, thus we came to pay respects. If you don’t accept our feelings, that’s fine, yet you actually threw out the things we presented and chased us from the manor. This is truly lacking in courtesy!”

Once these words were said, another person began to shout: “This is him looking down on the gifts we brought for being shabby, but we also sent a bit of money. Right, I only brought ten taels, which is not a large amount, but I am just a standard eighth rank official. My monthly salary is only 20 taels, and the tea was a gift that I had received. Just how much do you want?”

“Right!” Another voice spoke up: “I am just a ninth rank official. Although I only brought eight taels, I only have two taels left for the month. There is still a family of elderly and children waiting to eat, yet you think that it’s too little?”

An older madam spoke with a trembling voice: “Old pal Feng, it was your manor that sent the invitations. To put it plainly, our families do not live lavishly. We came today to puff ourselves up no matter the cost. If we had not received the invitation, we would not have come at all.”

“That’s right, that’s right.”

More and more people agreed before Feng Jin Yuan shouted once more from inside the manor: “Who is your old pal? Who are you familiar enough with to call a pal? The Feng family does not welcome you. Scram! All of you, scram!”

Finally, under his forceful insistence, all of the people that had come to apologize for his loss had left the Feng manor. While leaving, they unhappily said: “What rubbish! Does he still think of himself as being the prime minister? If it was not for county princess Ji An supporting him, just based on Qian Zhou attempting to kill the Emperor, the entire Feng family would have been exterminated.”

Just as they were saying this, someone managed to react, “Hold on! We can’t just leave like this. Feng Jin Yuan took our money then chased us out. We came here out of goodwill to light some incense for the elder madam, yet we were cursed. For what? Even if we are to leave, we must get our money back!”