554

First Entry Into the North

Feng Yu Heng sat in the carriage and gently lifted the curtain. A snowflake immediately entered with the wind. Even if it was her, she pulled her neck in from the cold.

Magistrate Lu glared at her, and Feng Yu Heng quickly lowered the curtain. Madam Lu was currently eating a pastry. Over the past two months, they had mostly been passing their days in the carriage. Even if they stopped, they would go directly to the inn to rest. Over the course of the entire day, all they did was eat and sleep. After two months, she had become quite a bit chubbier.

Feng Yu Heng asked her: “Madam, how much longer until we reach Guan Zhou?” She spoke while holding herself, “It’s so cold.”

Madam Lu also felt cold, but she was chubby and had plenty of fat, thus she did not think that it was particularly unbearable. After finishing the pastry, she took a sip of water before saying: “Roughly two more days. This is your first time coming to the North. You must be careful about your manor of speaking. This place is different from the central region, as the people here are fierce. There are times when buying a steamed bun will result in a fight breaking out.”

Feng Yu Heng pretended to be shocked: “Really?”

Reality proved that this was indeed the case.

Two days later, the Lu family’s carriage stopped outside of Guan Zhou. Feng Yu Heng was the first to get out of the carriage. The driver helped magistrate Lu, while she helped madam Lu.

How could they have known that when madam Lu got out of the carriage, there happened to be a roasted sweet potato vendor just outside the city that was placing the remaining sweet potatoes into the stove. One of them slipped and rolled over, stopping under madam Lu’s foot. She did not see it and stepped on it. She leaned sideways and nearly fell over. Fortunately, Feng Yu Heng and magistrate Lu worked together to hold her up. Only then could they manage to stabilize her body. Madam Lu looked down and took a look at the sweet potato. Raising her foot to take a look, she casually said: “What a group of unruly people.”

Her voice was very quiet, and not even the driver just ahead of her heard it, yet the sweet potato vendor happened to hear it. In addition to madam Lu having kicked the sweet potato, this person immediately lost it. With a thick northern accent, the vendor asked: “Who are you talking about? Who are you calling unruly? Do you think that I’m happy that the sweet potato rolled over here on its own? You even kicked it. This is something that people eat. Is that foot of yours made of gold?”

“You,” No matter what was said, madam Lu was the madam of an official’s family. She was unable to do something like openly cursing at someone in the middle of the road. But her not doing it did not mean that others would not, as she grabbed magistrate Lu and pushed him forward, quietly saying: “A grown man should step forward at a time like this. What sort of situation would it be for you to hide behind me?”

Magistrate Lu also felt that he should step forward, thus he pointed at the sweet potato vendor and fiercely said: “Impudent! A lowly commoner dares to stop an official’s carriage. Even if this official beat you to death today, there would not be anyone to stand up for you!”

Feng Yu Heng secretly laughed to herself. A lowly magistrate really viewed himself as some sort of high-ranking official. But the commoners of the North truly were ferocious and brave. The Lu family’s carriage could not be considered good; however, it was definitely not something that was common. Someone that sold things outside the city’s gates would naturally become accustomed to seeing people coming and going. He should have the most basic ability to make judgments on large and small families; however, he still dared to speak to madam Lu like this. Aside from the nature of the people of the North, there had to be some other reason.