477

An Excessive Demand

Once Feng Yu Heng said these words, Feng Jin Yuan was able to near-instantly determine that Xuan Tian Ming was not in the carriage. He angrily stood up and pointed at his second daughter’s nose then began to curse: “Vile spawn!”

Feng Yu Heng did not speak. She could no longer be bothered with responding to someone that did not have any memory after being beaten like Feng Jin Yuan. Instead, it was Xuan Tian Yan that stopped Feng Jin Yuan, advising: “The manor is still conducting a funeral. Lord Feng should still hold the funeral as being most important. Do not get angry. That earlier matter is also this prince’s fault. It was this prince that recognized ninth brother’s imperial carriage that caused lord Feng to be mistaken. I hope that lord Feng will forgive this mistake.”

It had to be said that back when Feng Jin Yuan was the prime minister, he had the ability to put on an ugly expression when dealing with Xuan Tian Yan, who was not liked by the Emperor; however, he no longer had that ability. He was just a lowly fifth-ranked official, and he could not even invite any respectable guests for the matriarch’s funeral. This was already the third day, yet they had not even received thirty taels of silver, much less had any princes come to visit. This was something that he did not dare imagine, but a prince had indeed come. Regardless of the prince’s standing within in the imperial family, he was still a prince. At this sort of time, he could not fail to appreciate his kindness and had to give him face.

Thinking like this, Feng Jin Yuan quickly moved away from Feng Yu Heng’s matter and saluted toward Xuan Tian Yan once more, saying: “Your Highness has truly overwhelmed this official with favor. For your Highness to come and mourn for my family’s grandmother, this official… is truly unable to repay this kindness.” As he said this, a couple tears truly appeared.

Xuan Tian Yan quickly tried to persuade him and pointed at the carriages filled with things that he had brought, saying to Feng Jin Yuan: “It’s just a small bit of my intention. I hope that lord Feng will not reject it.”

Reject it? Feng Jin Yuan’s eyes were about to exude light. How could he still reject it. But he still had to say the polite formalities. He bowed once more and said: “Your Highness is truly too kind to this official. This official would not be able to repay this kindness.”

The two chatted idly for a while, and Feng Jin Yuan was about to invite Xuan Tian Yan into the manor, but Xuan Tian Yan turned to look at Feng Yu Heng, saying in a kind tone: “County princess, will you not be getting out of the carriage?”

Feng Yu Heng kindly replied to him: “I will, of course, I will. Fifth brother, please go ahead first.” Although she said this, she did not move an inch.

Xuan Tian Yan acknowledged that he did not have the ability to argue with her. Moreover, he had come to visit because he had an important matter to take care of, thus he nodded and followed Feng Jin Yuan into the Feng manor. The things that he had brought were carried into the manor by the servants. After a few days of conducting the funeral, they had finally received a decent mourning gift, and it was sent by a prince. The Feng family finally felt that it had regained some face.

Feng Yu Heng got up and got out of the carriage, ordering Huang Quan: “Bring Xiang Rong back to the county princess’ manor first.” She then said to Ban Zou: “Quickly go to the Yu Palace to deliver the items and return the carriage.”

Ban Zou nodded and whipped the horses to leave. Huang Quan carried Xiang Rong back to the county princess’ manor, as Wang Chuan followed Feng Yu Heng into the Feng manor. The two followed the two ahead over to Peony courtyard’s mourning hall.

In truth, it had to be said that there was a bit of a change to the Emperor’s dislike of Xuan Tian Yan over the past few months. Ever since Feng Yu Heng had whipped Xuan Tian Ye until he could no longer be independent, and ever since the Emperor had sentenced imperial concubine An to death, the fifth prince had changed himself. He no longer lived a life of debauchery. Instead, he developed an interest in cooking. He would frequently send delicious foods that he had made over to the Emperor. At the start, the Emperor would not eat it. Afterward, his resistance began to fade, and he ate some. Slowly, Xuan Tian Yan was able to become involved in some political affairs. Although he did not participate too deeply, it was better than before.