548

The Former Imperial Daughter

The foot that Feng Yu Heng had raised was put back down, as she leaned back against the wall and listened carefully.

Sounds of groping came from inside the room, and a woman’s tender moans could be heard from time to time. A man’s voice could then be heard, reminding the woman: “Keep your voice down.” His tone was cautious and sounded quite fearful.

The woman said: “What is there to fear! There are many rooms between us. She has always been a heavy sleeper. Back in the manor, she would not even wake up even if there was only a screen between us. She sleeps like a log. Only you are afraid of her.”

The man said: “It’s not fear. It’s to give her maternal family face. No matter what is said, she is also from the Duan Mu branch family. The matter of taking up a post in Qing Zhou this time, do you really believe that third girl will be able to make it happen? It will still depend on whether her maternal family puts in any effort. Be quick, what if she wakes up soon. That would be bad.”

“Hah, what’s the rush! You only know to take advantage of her; however, I am unable to even live the life of a concubine. Staying at your side really is a losing proposition.”

The man spoke helplessly: “Who told you to be her accompanying maidservant. I’ve taken so many concubines, and she did not even care, yet when I brought up the idea of taking you in, she nearly destroyed the entire residence. Tell me, do I dare bring it up again? Don’t cause trouble. Come quickly…”

Feng Yu Heng did not continue to listen and returned to the railing on the deck. She pretended to look at the river, but her mind was running at full capacity.

That man and woman were magistrate Lu and his maidservant. The relationship between the two was very clear, and provided her with a bit of information. IT turned out that magistrate Lu’s madam was from one of the Duan Mu family’s branch families. With things like this, it was easy to understand why the daughter of a concubine from the Lu family could be sent into the leader of the North’s manor.

Magistrate Lu’s goal was to become the magistrate of Qing Zhou. Although the position of standard fifth rank magistrate was not high, Qing Zhou was part of Te Tian Prefecture, which was too close to the capital. If he was allowed to assume the position of magistrate of Qing Zhou, that would mean that the Duan Mu family would have a stable position of power in the central region.

But this was also fine. Feng Yu Heng calculated that there might be a chance that she could make use of what had happened between magistrate Lu and that maidservant. Although slightly dangerous, this was the most direct way of accomplishing her goals of getting into the North.

Thinking of this, she did not linger. She turned around and headed straight for the Lu family’s private room. Upon reaching the door, she could hear the sounds of snoring coming from inside. Helplessly shaking her head, she could not blame that man for liking a pretty and younger girl. It was fine if madam Lu only looked bad from the outside, but she was also lacking in refinement on the inside. If a woman’s snores were comparable to that of a man, who would still want to stay with her?

Feng Yu Heng knew that this sort of person would not wake up even if the door was kicked down, thus she did not wait any longer. Raising her hand, she removed a hairpin and stuck it into the keyhole. After twisting it a few times, she quietly opened the door.

She walked over to the bed and squatted down, maintaining a position that would leave her unseen to the person on the bed. She then pulled out a silver needle and gently poked it into a certain area on madam Lu, causing the sleeping person to immediately wake up.