TWENTY-TWO

When Reagan began working as an intern she remembered her mother telling her never to let people see her sweat. There's just something about first impressions that make them stick. You could be the nicest and most collected person in the world, but you only have one chance to prove to people that you mean business. That was what Reagan learned her first morning at her first internship. As soon as she shook hands with the label manager she remembers her mother telling her not to be nervous, that Reagan was not less than him, that she was there because of what she proved she could do. If you stand your ground from the beginning, then people would know that you were serious. She knew that Reagan would be dealing with a lot of important people and that first impressions were everything. In Reagan's field of work, it was just incredibly vital to always be cool, calm and collected. Her mom was a pro at making an amazing first impression, it was just unfair how she could turn that charm on within a second. But looking at her now, Reagan never would have said that was her confident, gutsy, and perfect mom. No, that was someone else. She just stood there, mouth agape, staring at Harry as if he was a ghost.

"Mrs. Bailey?"

"I-I uh, yes. Hi. Hello." She stuttered, reaching her hand into the car and shaking Harry's extended hand.

"I'm sorry to have caused a ruckus, I imagine that's why you came out." He turned to look at Reagan and she was pale as a sheet, he figured she wouldn't be of much help.

"Oh, yes." Reagan's mom said, suddenly remembering there was a reason as to why she came out into the driveway in the first place, she cleared her throat and tried to continue, "So, you and Reagan work together."

"Yes. She's our album's campaign manager."

She turned to look at Reagan, "I thought you were just an intern at the label!"

Reagan shrugged, snapping out of her stupor, "I...uh...was promoted."

"And you didn't tell me!?" Reagan's mom suddenly realized that perhaps it wasn't the best time to discuss this. She turned to Harry and smiled, a tad embarrassed, "Sorry, Harry. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise."

"I hope you'll be coming by the house when you're free, you know Reagan's sister Kennedy is a huge fan."

"Kennedy?" Harry smirked.

Reagan sighed loudly, wondering how long it would take for the Earth to finally swallow her whole.

"Yes, her younger sister. Did Reagan not tell you she had a younger sister."

"I didn't tell him anything, mom. We work together. I told you, I don't like mixing my personal life with my business life."

"Ah, yes, well. You'd better be off to work then, you'll both be late."

Reagan's mother stepped out of the way and let Reagan get in the passenger seat. Reagan simply stared at her, even after she sat down and closed the car's door.

"It was nice to finally meet you, Mrs. Bailey." Harry called out the window over Reagan.

"Julie." She said with a smile, "Call me Julie."

It took all of Reagan's willpower to not reach out the window and strangle her mother, it really did. She couldn't believe her mother was really turning on her charm with Harry Styles of all people, he was her age. That was just disturbing.

"No, I can't do that."

"Sure you can."

"No, really, I can't. Don't feel comfortable. I'll just call you Mrs. Bailey until I can call you mum."