S E V E N T Y - E I G H T

Hailey watched Reagan with her bright hazel eyes. She was silent, sitting regally in an extravagantly carved chair that was by Reagan's dresser. She breathed in lightly, relishing this moment far too much. Hailey believed that what she was doing was the right thing after all. People messing up the status quo just wouldn't do. Reagan was Reagan, chubby, plain old Reagan Bailey. And Harry was Harry, a popular, handsome celebrity. The two together simply would not do. It defied the laws of nature.

Agonizing seconds felt like an eternity to Reagan whose stomach was churning with prickling anxiety. Her hands began sweating, her mind at a standstill. All she could think was 'Fucking shit.' This was it, she was sure of it. This was the end of her newly established career.

"Oh, Reagan." Hailey said shaking her head and interrupting Reagan's train of thought, "You know, this whole situation is quite funny, isn't it?"

Reagan didn't want to quiver before Hailey. She wanted to be strong and to show she wasn't afraid of what she could possibly do, but who was she kidding? She was fucking terrified, and her uneven voice showed it, "How so?"

"Lydia brought me in to clear those rumors of you and Harry dating."

"So?"

She laughed, "Well now I'll really be worth the money won't I?"

"What?"

"Oh, don't play stupid, Reagan. We both know you and Harry are fucking, or whatever the hell you're doing." She flipped her long hair over her shoulder, "Are you screwing him?"

Reagan blushed, determined not to give a look that would give Hailey any kind of satisfaction.

"You're not are you? I mean who are we kidding. You two probably stay up all night whispering sweet nothings to each other. What man is going to want to actually touch you?"

Reagan said nothing.

"Then again, if he happened to, it would mean nothing. You'd just be a quick lay. Maybe an escapade or a cheap thrill, but there is no way he would consider you a serious conquest. I mean look at you, there is nothing you have to offer, Reagan." She smiled, "We're friends right? We're supposed to tell each other the truth, aren't we?"

"You're an evil bitch." Reagan sputtered.

Hailey ignored her and continued, "Have you seen his exes? Heard of the girls who actually have slept with him? Reagan, none of them look like you. They look like me. You know why? He has a type, Rae. All boys do. They like pretty girl. Or, well, they like easy girls too I suppose." She said raising her flawlessly shaped brows.

"Are you calling me easy too now?"

Hailey shrugged, "I'm the only one who tells you how it is, Rae. That's what friends are what for. What good would it do for me to lie to you? To tell you that you have a chance with him? That you're beautiful on the inside and that's what matters? It's bullshit! You know it is! Harry isn't going to be seen with you in public, he isn't going to come out and tell the world that he loves someone like you."

"You don't know shit, Hailey." She said, her uneven voice making her sound less threatening.

"Don't tell me," Hailey said with a fake pout that infuriated Reagan more than anything, "Did he say he wanted to go public with you? He did, didn't he?" Hailey said, emphatically nodding, "Oh, Rae. You have so much to learn about boys. Don't you know that's just a tactic to get you trust him?"

"That's not true."

She smiled, "Honey, why did he agree to go out with me then? He's rebelled against his label and management for so long, why not now?"