FIFTY-SIX

By some work of magic, the boys were busy the next few days shooting promos, and had no need for Reagan. Thus Lydia told her she could do her work remotely, and Reagan was in no state to refuse. In fact, she had been wrapped in her comforter with a tub of ice cream for the past four hours. Her mother said nothing when she reached for the tub earlier, in fact, the fridge had been restocked with four new tubs even though they were specifically on a low-carb, low-sugar diet. Her mother hadn't said a word all day, actually. Which Reagan knew meant that Kennedy had opened her mouth, once again.

Kennedy of course had been the one who had consoled Reagan for hours after she had come home. Reagan wasn't the type to cry, or to feel emotions, really. She hated the fact that she was so incredibly vulnerable to Harry. She hated the fact that she was about to open herself up to him, knowing damn well that she had stopped doing that long ago.

After crying for about four hours straight, Reagan had made Kennedy swear that she wouldn't tell their mother what had happened, not after she had pathetically spent the entire night sobbing. But of course, Kennedy must have told her because since when has Kennedy ever been able to keep a secret from their mother? And then did her father know as well? Reagan was a little irked, but at the same time, she just didn't care. All she cared about was the fact that she was almost hitting the bottom of the carton, which made her smirk ironically because, god, it was like the carton was a metaphor for her life. She was hitting rock bottom after all.

Kennedy conveniently peeked her head into the room just then, just to make sure Reagan was still alive. Upon seeing her sister still in the position as hours ago, she asked, "Rae? You okay?"

Reagan looked up from the computer screen she was staring at and nodded her head, "Cookie dough can only do so much though."

"Don't underestimate the power of cookie dough ice cream, Rae."

Reagan rolled her eyes and put her spoon aside, "You told mom, didn't you?"

"Not everything."

"But she knows?"

Kennedy crossed her arms, "Well, you've been hiding in here and sulking for like two days, what else am I going to tell her? She knows it's about Harry."

Reagan sighed loudly, "What about dad?"

Kennedy shrugged, "I don't think he's noticed. Some big project coming up, he's been out of the house a lot."

As much as it used to bother Reagan that her father was never around, today she was grateful that he wasn't. After what had happened with all the fans in front of their house, she was sure that her father would never forgive her if he found out she actually was kind of involved with Harry. But then that made her wonder if she still was, after all he was going to be "dating" that Hailey girl now. And that sunk her into an even greater depression.

Kennedy noticed her older sister's mood shift and sat upon the corner of her bed, "Hey, at least those fans stopped stalking you."

"For now." Reagan said, her shoulders slumping.

"Never thought we'd have to have security sit outside the house."

"It's just for a few days."

'You're actually rationalizing it?" Kennedy asked, "Something must be wrong with you."

Reagan shrugged.

"Well," Kennedy said, leaning back against Reagan's pillow, "Maybe dad did overreact. He doesn't know that you guys are dating, and in the papers it's just like they're sensationalizing the fact that you two were seen together, you know? I mean, nothing in those pictures could technically imply that you two were together. So you're friends, so what?"

Kennedy looked at Reagan, but Reagan had reverted back into picking at the nearly empty carton and had lost interest in the conversation.

"Rae?"

"Yeah, I'm listening." Reagan responded.

"So...what are you guys?"

Reagan didn't even hesitate, "I don't know."

"Hasn't he talked to you?"

"Um, yeah. We've texted, but it's really awkward. I don't know. I just don't-"

"Don't wanna deal with it?"

Reagan nodded.

"Yeah well, you're going to have to."

"He's going to be gone until the day after tomorrow."

"So you're saying you're not going to deal with it?"

"I'm saying I don't have to right now."

"Rae." Kennedy pleaded.

But Reagan didn't budge, she was just so fucking tired. Lydia hadn't sent her much work, not an overwhelming amount anyway. There was only one thing on that to-do list that she didn't have the heart to do. In fact, it made her want to go get another tub of ice cream.

"What?" Kennedy asked as she saw her sister's mind roam elsewhere once more.

Reagan shook her head.

"Are you just going to sit here and eat ice cream?"

"I'm also doing work." Reagan said, spoon sticking out of her mouth.

"One Direction stuff?"

"Um, yeah."

"Like what."

Reagan let out a loud sigh, her throat closing up a bit as she said, "Booking a ticket."

"For who, the boys? I thought their managers took care of th-"

"Um, no, actually."

"Then for who?"

It killed Reagan to even say it, the audacity of Lydia having assigned her this task. She didn't think Lydia was an unreasonable or spiteful woman, but having seen it in text, having actually had to complete what had been asked of her, she was beginning to wonder about her boss.

"Rae?"

"Yeah?" Reagan replied, obviously having been lost in thought, again.

"Who is the ticket for?"

Reagan sighed again, trying to hold back her tears. She couldn't cry, not anymore. This was happening and she needed to suck it up.

"It's for Hailey. She's coming here in a few days."