t w e n t y - n i n e

6834 words

october first- the seventh floor

Harry had met me in the Great Hall this morning during breakfast to explain what would happen. In a few minutes, Tonks would be meeting me in the Room of Requirement.

I was nervous. It had been 2 weeks since I agreed to train under her. I hadn't mentioned anything to Draco, which was killing me. I wanted to tell him how I was going to do something good, something that would benefit everyone. But I couldn't.

I knew I would tell him eventually. Sorry Harry, but Draco is more important to me. He wouldn't tell his father. That's not like him.

I made my way up to the seventh floor carefully. I had decided that if anyone asked me where I was going, I would act like I was doing my prefect duties.

I had no idea what to expect from this. What would Tonks teach me? My anxiety thudded through me with every beat of my heart. I reached the area where Harry said the door would appear.

He mentioned that it would only appear if I really needed it. I had to think about Cedric, about everything terrible that would happen if I didn't fight back. I needed to fight back. I needed to be prepared.

I closed my eyes and thought about Cedric. He was murdered. You can fix this. You have the power to do something. Images of his dead body flashed before my eyes. His pale face, his blank stare, his mussed up hair that was coated with dried blood. I was enraged. He was dead.

I opened my eyes and a door appeared before me. I reached for the door handle and tried to open it, but it was locked. I grabbed my wand out of my pocket. "Alohamora."

The door unlocked and opened. I hesitantly walked through the opening. The room was dark, so I kept my wand readied in case something was hiding in the shadows.

I heard a shuffle behind me and turned, suddenly on edge. I rethought saying yes to them back in McGonagall's office. You don't even know this girl, she could be absolutely wonky. She could be a murderer for all you know.

"Stupefy!" I turned and saw the ray of light coming at me.

I didn't think, instead just waving my wand and muttering an incantation. "Protego!"

The light rebounded off of my shield charm back in the direction it was cast from. I heard a grunt and a thud as the caster was, most assuredly, shot back and on the ground.

"Lumos Maxima," I said, eager to see who it was.

Over in the corner of the room was a woman with bright turquoise hair. Her hair quickly returned to a brilliant purple and pink mix as she sat up slowly. "You're not half bad," she said while standing up, still clutching her wand. She was wearing a dark coat, ripped pants, and gnarly boots. She looked like a badass.

She walked over towards me, extending a hand. I took it hesitantly, which I could tell she sensed.

"I'm assuming you're Addison," she said, looking me up and down quickly. I nodded curtly. "Well, that's good. I'm Tonks. Don't call me by my first name or I'll hex you."

"Got it," I said harshly. I walk into this strange room into a part of the castle I've never really been to before and the first thing she does is try to stun me? Absolutely not.

"Sorry about the stun, by the way," she said, sensing my distaste. "I had to see if you lived up to your reputation."

"My reputation?" I asked.