43: Hunting, Hunted

*Narrator's POV*

"Jack, this is seriously ridiculous. Who's to say he isn't dead yet?" Ben gave out a heavy sigh as he crossed off yet another part of the map in front of him. Months had passed since him and Jack lost Jeffery in those woods and they'd been looking ever since.

"He isn't dead... if he were there would be a body..." Jack scanned the last two uncrossed parts on the map, clearly in thought about their next move.

"What if whoever's been hunting him is a cannibal and left no proof?" Jack couldn't deny the urge to tape the blonde boy's mouth shut but resisted. Yes, there had been evidence that Jeffery had been all over this map. However, there was also proof that someone was after him. Of course, after much digging, Jack knew it wasn't a cannibal.

"I already told you... It was that girl and brother from his past..." Jack explained for the umpteenth time and Ben just rolled his eyes.

"I know what you said but I thought they were killed in the fire." Ben leaned against the tree behind him, exhausted from their seven hour long search with no break.

"Their bodies weren't at the crime scene..." Jack took the pen from the blonde boy and began to make arrows from certain areas to others, thinking through his process.

"It's fire, didn't they just disintegrate or some shit?" At this point Ben was tired and wanted to go home, he really didn't know why he was there anymore. Especially since he was so convinced the kid they were tracking was as good as dead.

"The parents remains were still there..." Of course, the blonde boy had nothing to say to that. Biting his tongue, Ben finally stopped arguing and let Jack continue his thinking. The faster they found Jeffery the better, before he caused any unnecessary problems for them. After a few more scribbles, Jack pointed at one of the uncrossed spots on the map. "Here... He'll be here..."

"How are you so sure?" Ben asked while Jack folded the map, getting ready to get moving once more.

"His movements... He doesn't know where he's going... He's running on instinct but there's a pattern... He's on his way there." Ben was genuinely confused by Jack's optimistic idea but in the end didn't question it. He figured they'd arrive, spend hours searching and come up empty handed anyways. Even though he really didn't want to do that.

"He's faster than us. He'll get there and be gone before we arrive. Why don't we get more people to cover more base?" The less time it takes to declare him dead the better was Ben's thought. Jack paused, taking Ben's idea into consideration.

"The pattern... If we leave now we'll make it before him... He's trying to lose the people hunting him... He won't take a straight line to the area... But having back up for whoever is after him... That's a good idea..." Ben sighed in relief that even though Jack was convinced Jeffery was alive that getting more people on board was a good idea.

"Great, what about Masky and Hoodie-"