36: Family Dinner Gets Heated; Part 7 (Final part)

•WARNING: I know this is labeled under mature, horror, blood, murder, and gore... which is warning enough and I was going to leave it at that.... But a fair reminder to anyone that's forgotten those tags and just letting you know that I am kinda twisted. That's it.

Enjoy~ ♥️

"Jeffery is awake."

~January 29th, 1986~

*Jane's POV*

Several days passed since we heard the news and two days ago, he finally came home. We hadn't seen him, deciding it would be best to let him rest before suffocating him with all of our attention. As hard as it was to hold back, I knew it was for the best. However, those two days of waiting was coming to a close tonight.

My mother was currently at the Woods' residence helping Mrs. Woods prepare for appetizers and desert while my father and Mr. Woods barbecued out back, preparing dinner. I was told that after I'd gotten ready to head over to help set up the table and games. Of course, getting ready was proving to be difficult. It had only been two weeks since I'd seen that gloomy boy but it felt like forever and while he was away, my heart only ached for him more.

As embarrassing as it sounded, I felt like one of those girls from those cheesy romance films who were head over heels in love with that one boy they couldn't get off their mind.

"Ngh..." That was something I'd never share with anyone though. I felt my cheeks burning from the thought as I switched dresses for maybe the hundredth time. "Why is this suddenly very difficult?"

Looking into the mirror, I felt an overwhelming sense of anxiety. I never thought much about what I wore as long as it matched and didn't make me stick out like a sore thumb. I was never this girly. Spending forever picking the perfect outfit to impress the person she likes. I knew this was stupid but I couldn't help myself. Another reason why I felt like I was in a cheesy romance.

"Well," I sighed as I looked into the mirror, smiling gently, satisfied with the knee length, black dress I finally ended up in. "What girl doesn't want her own happy ending?"

I glanced over at my desk, looking at the book that Jeffery had left behind, his words still echoing in my head. They were hostile and he probably meant every last one of them but I knew that he was also very hurt in the moment. We'd been so close, spending so much time together, was it possible to hate someone you were practically joined at the hip with? I couldn't even imagine ever hating him, no matter what.

I held the book tenderly against my chest and closed my eyes, focusing on that day, his words. At that moment I vowed to myself, I'd make him change his mind. He'd smile for me once more. Placing the book down gently where I had it, I slipped on my black heels. Checking the mirror once more, I smiled at my reflection before heading downstairs and out to the Woods' home. The door was opened, allowing the fresh air to creep in.

The smell of baked goods emitted from the inside and the sounds of the two woman carried themselves outside. Their chitter-chatter and laughter sounded like heaven on earth as I took a step in. Headed for the kitchen, I see them lost in conversation as they mixed bowels and set platters. Looking through the open window, I saw my father and Mr. Woods laughing while they drank beer. Seeing the smiling faces of those around me, gave me the courage I needed to step forward, greeting them.