Prologue (rewrote them meeting in kindergaten)

"Freak."

"Loser."

"Nice lip, nerd."

"Eww!"

"He's gross."

"Scarface."

These were things Eli heard everyday when going to school. It was never anything new to him still each word felt like a cut into his little heart. He expected this before entering first grade. During his kindergarten year everyone stared or asked about his lip but luckily nobody made fun of him. Still, young Eli felt subconscious when asked about it. On his first couple of days in first grade Eli was already being called names and insulted due to the scar on his lip. He tried to explain he was born with a cleft lip and he had surgery, but nobody really cared enough to listen. They were all 6 year olds, even if they listened they wouldn't truly understand.

Eli walked into the school filled with students and parents dropping off their kids. He grasped his backpack straps tightly as he kept his head low trying to avoid the stares and the teasing he heard from the other children. All he needed to do was get to his classroom. His mom would usually drop him off but she was stuck at home taking care of his father. His father was getting over a hangover and Eli had to go to school on his own. He was almost there until someone tugged his backpack pulling him back a few steps. Eli stumbled backwards nearly falling.

"Hey scarface." A chubby kid with blonde hair smirked.

Eli stared at the blonde kid's red sneakers avoiding eye contact.

"Why do you come to school by yourself?" The kid asked maliciously. "Are you mommy and daddy-less?"

Eli looked at the bully and his two friends who were chuckling behind him.

"Eww!" One of his friend's laughed while he pointed at the scar on Eli's mouth.

"I think that's why his mommy and daddy left him." The blonde kid agreed. "Why do you look like that?"

"I- I was born w-with a c-cleft lip." Eli managed to say as he avoided eye contact with the blonde kid still before him. "It's a scar from s-surgery."

"So you were born ugly?" The third friend let out a cackle.

Eli didn't respond and decided to look around and other children were staring at him and giggling. His body started trembling and his eyes became watery.

"He's gonna cry." His friend nudged the blonde's arm.

"Ugly and a crybaby!" He replied shoving Eli away causing him to fall.

Laughs could be heard from the hallway, immediately causing Eli to get up and run towards the nearest bathroom. He ran into the boys bathroom and locked himself in a stall. Tears escaped from his light blue eyes trailing down his face. He fell onto his knees and began to sob into his hands.

Why am I so ugly?

I hate my face!

Eli's mind was filled with negative thoughts. He hated school already and just wanted to go home and never come out again. Eli stayed there for a few minutes as his sobs simmered down however his eyes were still red afterwards. Eli sat there playing with his fingers. Suddenly he heard a lot of noise coming from outside the bathroom. It sounded like laughter, familiar laughter. He heard muffled voices, three to be exact and Eli knew who they were. Eli backed up into the corner of the stall closing his eyes praying they would not come in to bother him. The door slammed open.

"Hey loser!" The familiar voice said with malice.

Eli heard a loud thump startling him. He saw small skinny arms on the floor and a bit of dark brown hair.