Chapter 12: The Shadows Of Truth

Trixie didn't see Katya for the remainder on the week, but on Tuesday afternoon the blue eyed woman burst through the door of the library, marching up to where Trixie was standing.

"Hi?" Trixie said confused.

"She dies." Katya stated out of nowhere.

"Huh?"

"Hedvig, she dies. Why does she die?" Katya said, sounding almost comically shocked by the fact.

"Well, for multiple reasons. When Hjalmar finds out she might not be his child, he shuts her out, and she grows desperate. She searches for any way to regain his love, people do the craziest things for love you know. She also hears her father say; Would she lay down her life for me? " Trixie explained.

"So was she trying to shoot herself or the wild duck?"

"That's up to interpretation I guess, but many think she did it intentionally to prove to her father that she did love him enough to lay down her life." The librarian replied.

"Can humans really be so affected by finding out the truth?" Katya questioned. Trixie thought it was an odd choice of words, as it sounded as if humans were a different species from Katya herself, which was of course ridiculous. 

"Well, when Gregers tells Hjalmar of his wife's affair, Hjalmar's entire world falls apart. Everything he has believed in is suddenly gone. He has made himself trust in his happy life and happy family, his great invention, his perfect wife Gina, and his kindhearted daughter. But then Gregers shows him that he is just like the wounded wild duck, holding onto seaweed at the bottom of a lake to escape the reality of his life. The truth won't always set people free as Gregers believes. It's like what doctor Relling says; Deprive the average human being of his life-lie, and you rob him of his happiness." Trixie said.

"I suppose..." Katya said, her mind wandering as she thought of the truth she herself at some point had to convey.

Would the truth of their lives be easily accepted by Trixie? Or would it ruin the girl as it had Hjalmar and his family?

"By the way, this is the most I've ever heard you talk." The blue eyed woman said to lighten the mood slightly.

"Oh.. ehm.. yeah, I guess I get quite engaged when I discuss literature..." The younger girl replied, her shyness returning suddenly. 

"I like it, it's nice to see you so passionate." Katya said, and Trixie could have sworn she saw the woman's eyes sparkle for a second.
"Have you gotten a chance to read anything of what I recommended yet?" The girl added.

"I've started the novel, but haven't gotten far yet. I did finish the short story tho." Trixie said.

"Really, what did you think?"

"Well, I know they claim her to be a demon and that the testimonies in the trial seem quite severe, but.." The girl trailed off.

"But what?" Katya pressed, very interested to hear the young girl's perspective.

"Well.. what the men told the judge that she said... I mean, none of her statements seemed wrong. If someone would give you anything, would lay down their life or denounce their God... Should you really be blamed for that? Yes, she might have relied on powers, but who's to say the men wouldn't have done her bidding even without it? They themselves even state that they would have. I guess I... I kind of felt sorry for her.. I felt like Francois Tournebouche describes it, like an angel was being burnt by wicked men. She seemed to be feared and punished for the power and strength she possessed, more than she was punished for her actual crimes." Trixie said and the blue eyed girl stared at her in shock. 

Never before had Katya found a human who viewed the story in that way. She'd been to countless discussions regarding the literary work, and yet no one had viewed the succubus in such a compassionate light. Demons could feel for the woman in the story, they emphasized with her and saw the men's crimes as larger. But Katya had never heard a human say that the letter from Francois Tournebouche in the short story was the correct way of viewing the situation.

"What?" The brown eyed girl said shyly, feeling awkward because the older woman had been staring at her for a while. "Is it wierd to think that?"

"No!" Katya yelled, hearing people around the library hush her right after. "Sorry. No, It's just I've never met anyone who interprets it like I do. I completely agree with you." The girl explained.

"Oh, well then I'm glad it's not just me." Trixie said cutely.